"For Further Reading" Supplement - 193 Citations, 2000-2007
This bibliography is a supplement to the "For Further Reading" section of the publication, Sustainable Agriculture: Definition and Terms (Special Reference Brief 99-02) published by the Alternative Farming Systems Information Center, National Agricultural Library, U.S. Department of Agriculture, in 1999. There are 193 citations in this supplement, drawn from various directories, bibliographic databases, research paper references and the World Wide Web.
1. "The Adaptive Decision-Making Process as a Tool for Integrated Natural Resource Management: Focus, Attitudes, and Approach," by P. Lal, H. Lim-Applegate and M. Scoccimarro. Conservation Ecology 5, no. 2 (2002): pp. 1-21. [NAL Call Number: QH75.A1C67]
2. "Adoption of Conservation Production Systems Within the North Central Region of the United States," by T.L. Napier. In Soil Erosion Research for the 21st Century, pp. 256-259. St Joseph MO: American Society of Agricultural Engineers (ASAE), 2001. Note: Proceedings of the International Symposium, Honolulu, Hawaii, January 3-5, 2001, edited by J.C. Ascough II and D.C. Flanagan. [NAL Call Number: S622.2 .S656 2001]
3. "Agribusiness and Sustainable Development: New Orientation of Business Activities under the Framework of Ecological Economy (a Conceptual Analysis)," by A.H. Dharmawan and E.I.K. Putri. Der Tropenlandwirt, Beiheft, no. 73 (2001): pp. 28-39. [NAL Call Number: SB111.A2T72]
4. "Agricultural Ethics," by M.J. Chrispeels and D.F. Mandoli. Plant Physiology 132, no. 1 (2003): pp. 4-9. [NAL Call Number: 450 P692]
5. "Agricultural Ethics and Multifunctionality are Unavoidable," by S.J. Dundon. Plant Physiology 133, no. 2 (2003): pp. 427-437. [NAL Call Number: 450 P692]
6. "Agriculture Land Use Changes and the Dynamics of Climate System: A Sustainable Approach," by M.K. Singh, M.F. Farkas and I. Szucs. Cereal Research Communications 35, no. 2, Part 2 (2007): pp. 1061-1064.
7. "Agro-Biodiversity Conservation in Europe: Ethical Issues," by V. Negri. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 18, no. 1 (2005): pp. 3-25. [NAL Call Number: BJ52.5.J68]
8. "Agroecology: The Ecology of Food Systems," by C. Francis, G. Lieblein , S. Gliessman, T.A. Breland, N. Creamer, R. Harwood, L. Salomonsson, J. Helenius, D. Rickerl, R. Salvador, M. Wiedenhoeft, S. Simmons, P. Allen, M. Altieri, C. Flora and R. Poincelot. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture 22, no. 3 (2003): pp. 99-118. [NAL Call Number: S494.5.S86S8]
9. "Agroecosystem Sustainability: A System Simulation Model Approach," by K. Belcher, M. Boehm and M. Fulton. Agricultural Systems 79, no. 2 (2004): pp. 225-241. [NAL Call Number: HD1.A3]
10. Agroecosystems Analysis, by D. Rickerl and C. Francis. (Agronomy Monograph, 43) Madison WI: American Society of Agronomy, 2004. 207p. Note: Contents: Multidimensional Thinking: A Prerequisite to Agroecology, Diane H. Rickerl and Charles Francis; Agroecology and Agroecosystems, Stephen R. Gliessman; Soil Dynamics, Plant Nutrition, and Soil Quality, Charles Francis; Designing Species-Rich, Pest-Suppressive Agroecosystems through Habitat Management, Clara I. Nicolls and Miguel A. Altieri; Whole-Farm Planning and Analysis, Rhonda R. Janke; Multifunctional Economic Analysis, Thomas L. Dobbs; Community Dynamics and Social Capital, Cornelia Butler Flora; Conservation within Agricultural Landscapes, Thomas E. Schumacher and Diane H. Rickerl; Geographic Information Systems and Landscape Analysis, Robert M. Caldwell; Serving Multiple Needs with Rural Landscapes and Agricultural Systems, Charles Francis, Lennart Salomonsson, Geir Lieblein and Juha Helenius; Ecological Morality: A New Ethic for Agriculture, Frederick Kirschenmann; Ecology of Food Systems: Visions for the Future, Charles Francis and Diane H. Rickerl. [NAL Call Number: 4 Am392 no. 43]
Chapters 1 and 10 in full-text from Center for Applied Rural Innovation, University of Nebraska, Lincoln: http://cari.unl.edu/Presentations/chapter1.pdf and http://cari.unl.edu/Presentations/chapter010.pdf (accessed 8/22/07)
11. "Aldo Leopold's Land Ethic: Is It Only Half a Loaf?" by D.W. MacCleery. Journal of Forestry 98, no. 10 (2000): pp. 5-7, 15-21. [NAL Call Number: 99.8 F768]
Text from author's "Aldo Leopold's Land Ethic: Is it Only Half a Loaf Unless a Consumption Ethic Accompanies It?" (1999): http://www.fs.fed.us/eco/eco-watch/consumption_ethic2.html (accessed 8/22/07)
12. "The Application of Sustainability Concepts to Australian Agriculture: An Overview," by G. Stoneham, M. Eigenraam, A. Ridley and N. Barr. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 43, no. 3 (2003): pp. 195-203. [NAL Call Number: 23 Au792]
13. "Applying the Concept of Sustainability to Water Resources Management," by H.T. Heintz, Jr. Water Resources Update (2004): pp. 6-10. [NAL Call Number: TD201.U61]
Full-text from Universities Council on Water Resources (UCOWR), Southern Illinois University: http://www.ucowr.siu.edu/updates/127/Heintz.pdf (accessed 8/22/07)
14. "Approaches to Assessing Sustainable Agriculture," by J.A. Zinck, J.L. Berroteran, A. Farshad, A. Moameni, S. Wokabi and E. Van Ranst. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture 23, no. 4 (2004): pp. 87-109. [NAL Call Number: S494.5.S86S8]
15. "Are Open Food Systems Compatible with a Sustainable Agriculture?" by D. Keeney and R. Levins. AAAS Annual Meeting and Science Innovation Exposition 166 (2000): pp. A17. Note: 166th National Meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and Science Innovation Exposition., Washington DC, February 17-22, 2000.
16. "The Area Production Model: A Tool and Concept for Sustainable Land-Use and Forest-Resource Management," by M. Sandewall and N.E. Nilsson. Journal of Environmental Management 62, no. 4 (2001): pp. 415-427. [NAL Call Number: HC75.E5J6]
17. "Assessing the Sustainability of the US Food System: A Life Cycle Perspective," by M.C. Heller and G.A. Keoleian. Agricultural Systems 76, no. 3 (2003): pp. 1007-1041. [NAL Call Number: HD1.A3]
18. "Assessment of the Contribution of Sustainability Indicators to Sustainable Development: A Novel Approach Using Fuzzy Set Theory," by A.M.G. Cornelissen, J. van den Berg, W.J. Koops, M. Grossman and H.M.J. Udo. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 86, no. 2 (2001): pp. 173-186. [NAL Call Number: S601.A34]
19. "Assessment of the Effects of Land Use Patterns on Hydrologic Landscape Functions: Development of Sustainable Land Use Concepts for Low Mountain Range Areas," by N. Fohrer, S. Haverkamp and H.G. Frede. Hydrological Processes 19, no. 3 (2005): pp. 659-672. [NAL Call Number: GB651.H93]
20. "Australia's Regulation of Genetically Modified Crops: Are We Risking Sustainability?" by F. Wickson. Australian Journal of Emerging Technologies and Society 2, no. 1 (2004): pp. 36-47.
21. Big Farms, Small Farms: Strategies in Sustainable Agriculture to Fit All Sizes, by H. Maynard and J. Nault. Ottawa: Agricultural Institute of Canada (AIC), 2005. 44p.
Full-text from AIC: http://www.aic.ca/issues/AIC_discussion_paper_Final_ENG.pdf (accessed 9/10/07)
22. "Biodiversity: Function and Assessment in Agricultural Areas. A Review," by B. Clergue, B. Amiaud, F. Pervanchon , F. Lasserre-Joulin and S. Plantureux. Agronomie 25, no. 1 (2005): pp. 1-15. [NAL Call Number: SB7.A3]
23. "Bioengineered Crops: The Commercial and Ethical Considerations," by S. Sengupta, L.K. Sengupta and P.S. Bisen. Current Genomics 2, no. 2 (2001): pp. 181-197.
24. "Biotic Indicators for Biodiversity and Sustainable Agriculture - Introduction and Background," by W. Buchs. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 98, no. 1-3 (2003): pp. 1-16. [NAL Call Number: S601.A34]
25. "Bridging the Gap between Private Landowners and Conservationists," by S.M. James. Conservation Biology 16, no. 1 (2002): pp. 269-271. [NAL Call Number: QH75.A1C5]
26. "Building Diverse Community Networks for Sustainable Food Systems: Guiding Philosophies of the Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture," by L.M. Carnes and H.D. Karsten. American Journal of Alternative Agriculture 18, no. 4 (2003): pp. 174-184. [NAL Call Number: S605.5.A43]
27. "Bulgarian Agriculture and the Concept of Sustainable Development," by V. Hadjieva. Bulgarian Journal of Agricultural Science 8, no. 4 (2002): pp. 449-455. [NAL Call Number: S3 .B8]
28. "Can a Firm Be Ethical? Friedman, Georgescu-Roegen and Sustainable Agriculture," by S. Stagl and J. Gowdy. In Sustainability in Action: Sectoral and Regional Case Studies, pp. 135-150. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2001.
29. "Can Irrigation Be Sustainable?" by S. Khan, R. Tariq, C. Yuanlai and J. Blackwell. Agricultural Water Management 80, no. 1-3 (2006): pp. 87-99. [NAL Call Number: S494.5.W3A3]
Full-text as presented in New Directions for a Diverse Planet: Proceedings of the 4th International Crop Science Congress, Brisbane, Australia, Sept. 26 - Oct. 1, 2004: http://www.cropscience.org.au/icsc2004/symposia/1/7/
1399_shahbazkhan.htm (accessed 9/10/07)
30. "Classical Farming Systems of China," by Z. Gong, P. Lin, J. Chen and X. Hu. Journal of Crop Production 3, no. 1 (2000): pp. 11-21. Note: In the special issue, " Nature Farming and Microbial Applications," edited by H.L. Xu, J.F. Parr and H. Umemura. [NAL Call Number: SB1.J683]
31. "Coevolution, Agricultural Practices and Sustainability: Some Major Social and Ecological Issues," by C. Tisdell. International Journal of Agricultural Resources Governance and Ecology 1, no. 1 (2000): pp. 6-16. [NAL Call Number: S604.5 .I57]
32. "Comparative Study of Chinese Ecological Agriculture and Sustainable Agriculture," by X. Cheng. International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology 11, no. 1 (2004): pp. 54-62. [NAL Call Number: HC79.E5 I56]
33. "Concept of Integrated Watershed Management and Key Elements of Its Processes for Sustainable Management," by P. Pathak. In Improving Management of Natural Resources for Sustainable Rainfed Agriculture, pp. 31-33. Patancheru, India: International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), 2002. Note: Proceedings of the Training Workshop on On-farm Participatory Research Methodology, Khon Kaen, Bangkok, Thailand, July 26-31, 2001.
34. "Concept of Sustainable Forest Management Evaluation in the Forestry Planning at the Forest Management Unit Level: Some Experiences, Problems and Suggestions from Slovenian Forestry," by A. Boncina. EFI Proceedings, no. 38 (2001): pp. 247-260. [NAL Call Number: SD177 .E44]
35. "Concepts of Sustainability, Agro-Ecosystem Health and Applications to Agricultural Production," by B. Smit. In Agro-Ecosystems, Natural Resources Management and Human Health Related Research in East Africa, pp. 198-206. Ottawa, Canada: International Development Research Centre (IDRC), 2000. Note: Proceedings of an IDRC ILRI International Workshop held at ILRI, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, May 11-15, 1998.
36. "Concepts of Sustainable Development, Sustainable Tourism, and Ecotourism: Definitions, Principles, and Linkages," by C. Pforr. Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism 1, no. 1 (2001): pp. 68-71.
37. "Conceptual Basis for a Sustainable Management in Agricultural Production," by A. Degioanni and A. Cantero Gutierrez. In Man and Soil at the Third Millennium, pp. 331-336. Logrona, Spain: GEOFORMA Edicions, S.L., 2002. Note: Proceedings, International Congress of the European Society for Soil Conservation, Valencia, Spain, March 28-April 1, 2000, Volume 1.
38. "Conceptual Foundations for the Sustainable Water Resources Roundtable," by R. Kranz, S.P. Gasteyer, T. Heintz, R. Shafer and A. Steinman. Water Resources Update (2004): pp. 11-19. [NAL Call Number: TD201.U61]
Full-text from Universities Council on Water Resources (UCOWR), Southern Illinois University: http://www.ucowr.siu.edu/updates/127/Kranz.pdf (accessed 8/23/07)
39. "A Conceptual Framework for Ecologically and Socially Sustainable Land Management and Agricultural Development in Africa," by E.B. Eze and N.E. Neba. International Journal of Environment and Sustainable Development 5, no. 3 (2006): pp. 275-286.
40. "Conceptual Framework for Evaluating Sustainable Agriculture," by M. Suvedi, C. Den Biggelaar and S. Morford. Journal of Crop Production 9, no. 1 (2003): pp. 433-454. [NAL Call Number: SB1.J683]
41. "A Conceptual Framework for the Sustainability Assessment Procedures of the Shrimp Aquaculture Industry in Coastal Bangladesh," by M.A. Chowdhury, G.P. Shivakoti and M. Salequzzaman. International Journal of Agricultural Resources Governance and Ecology 5, no. 2-3 (2006): pp. 162-184. Note: In the special issue, " Features of Environmental Sustainability in Agriculture: Where Do We Stand?" edited by S. Ferrari and M. Rambonilaza. [NAL Call Number: S604.5 .I57]
42. "The Conceptual Integration of Planning and Sustainability: An Investigation of Planners in the United States," by E.J. Jepson, Jr. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 21, no. 3 (2003): pp. 389-410.
43. "A Conceptual Model and Indicators for Assessing the Ecological Condition of Agricultural Lands," by G.R. Hess, C.L. Campbell, D.A. Fiscus, A.S. Hellkamp, B.F. McQuaid, M.J. Munster, S.L. Peck and S.R. Shafer. Journal of Environmental Quality 29, no. 3 (2000): pp. 728-737. [NAL Call Number: QH540.J6]
44. "A Conceptual Model for Defining and Assessing Land Management Units Using a Fuzzy Modeling Approach in GIS Environment," by S. Baja, D.M. Chapman and D. Dragovich. Environmental Management 29, no. 5 (2002): pp. 647-661. [NAL Call Number: HC79.E5E5]
45. "Conceptual Model for Sustainable Cropping Systems in the Southeast: Cotton System," by H.H. Schomberg, J. Lewis, G. Tillman, D. Olson, P. Timper, D. Wauchope, S. Phatak and M. Jay. Journal of Crop Production 8, no. 1/2 (2003): pp. 307-327. [NAL Call Number: SB1.J683]
46. "Conceptualizing Integrative, Farmer Participatory Research for Sustainable Agriculture: From Opportunities to Impact," by E. van de Fliert and A.R. Braun. Agriculture and Human Values 19, no. 1 (2002): pp. 25-38. [NAL Call Number: HT401 .A36]
47. "Conceptualizing Sustainable Agriculture: Iran as an Illustrative Case," by K. Rezaei-Moghaddam, E. Karami and J. Gibson. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture 27, no. 3 (2005): pp. 25-56. [NAL Call Number: S494.5.S86S8]
48. The Condition of Rural Sustainability, by T. Marsden. (European Perspectives on Rural Development) Assen, Netherlands: Royal Van Gorcum, 2003. 267p. [NAL Call Number: HC79.E5 M358 2003]
49. "Conflicts and Opportunities of Underground Water Sharing: Ethical Aspects," by E. Flor and A. Flor. In Selected Papers of the International Conference, from Conflict to Co-Operation in International Water Resources Mangement: Challenges and Opportunities, pp. 218-225. Paris, France: UNESCO, Division of Water Sciences, 2004. Note: Meeting held by UNESCO IHE, Delft, Netherlands, November 20-22, 2002.
50. Creating Sustainable Outcomes for Production Agriculture: Foundational Context and Principles. The Keystone Center, 2007.
Full-text from The Keystone Center: http://keystone.org/spp/documents/
5190FoundationalContext-Principles.pdf (accessed 8/22/07)
51. "Crop Science: Scientific and Ethical Challenges to Meet Human Needs," by L.O. Fresco. In Crop Science: Progress and Prospects, by J. Nosberger, H.H. Geiger and P.C. Struik, pp. 369-380. Wallingford, UK: CABI Publishing, 2001. Note: Papers presented at the Third International Crop Science Congress in Hamburg, Germany. [NAL Call Number: SB16 .A27 2001]
52. "The Cultural Background of the Sustainability of the Traditional Farming System in the Ghouta, the Oasis of Damascus, Syria," by S.K. Alhamidi, M. Gustafsson, H. Larsson and P. Hillbur. Agriculture and Human Values 20, no. 3 (2003): pp. 231-240. [NAL Call Number: HT401 .A36]
53. "The Cultural Model of ’The Good Farmer‘ and the Environmental Question in Finland," by T. Silvasti. Agriculture and Human Values 20, no. 2 (2003): pp. 143-150. [NAL Call Number: HT401 .A36]
54. "Defining and Managing Sustainable Yield," by M. Maimone. Ground Water 42, no. 6-7 (2004): pp. 809-814. [NAL Call Number: TD403.G7]
Full-text from CDM (Reprinted from Ground Water with permission of the National Ground Water Association Press): http://www.cdm.com/NR/rdonlyres/44774AAD-493B-498F-AF7B-A875258A4881/0/
DefiningandManagingSustainableYield.pdf (accessed 8/23/07)
55. "Defining Sustainable Ag Difficult Proposition," by C. Kallsen. Western Farm Press (September 2004).
56. "Definition of Animal Breeding Goals for Sustainable Production Systems," by I. Olesen, A.F. Groen and B. Gjerde. Journal of Animal Science 78, no. 3 (2000): pp. 570-582. [NAL Call Number: 49 J82]
57. "Definition of Sustainable and Unsustainable Issues in Nutrient Management of Modern Agriculture," by L. Bergstrom, B.T. Bowman and J.T. Sims. Soil Use and Management 21, Supplement (2005): pp. 76-81. [NAL Call Number: S590.S68]
58. "Definition of Sustainable Breeding Goals in Dairy Cattle," by H.M. Nielsen, L.G. Christensen and J. Odegard. In Proceedings of the 8th World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production, pp. 1-36. Minas Gerais, Brazil: Instituto Prociencia, 2006. Note: Meeting held at Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil, August 13-18, 2006.
59. "Developing an Environmental Management Systems Framework for Processing Tomatoes. Literature Review of Sustainable Agriculture to June 2001 - Theoretical Considerations," by L.C. McMaster and J.S. McMaster. Acta Horticulturae 613 (2003): pp. 131-137. Note: Proceedings of the Eighth International ISHS Symposium on the Processing Tomato, Istanbul, Turkey, June 8-10, 2002. [NAL Call Number: 80 Ac82]
60. "The Development of a Brownfield-Specific Sustainability and Indicator Framework for Regenerating Sites: Proposing a New Definition of 'Sustainable Brownfield Regeneration'," by G.J.P. Thornton, C.P. Nathanail, M. Franz and G. Pahlen. Land Contamination and Reclamation 15, no. 1 (2007): pp. 41-54.
61. "Do You See What I See? Examining the Epistemic Barriers to Sustainable Agriculture," by M.S. Carolan. Rural Sociology 71, no. 2 (2006): pp. 232-260. [NAL Call Number: 281.28 R88]
62. "Dualism and Sustainability," by C. Hamilton. Ecological Economics 42, no. 1/2 (2002): pp. 89-99. [NAL Call Number: QH540.E26]
63. "Eating Right Here: Moving from Consumer to Food Citizen," by J.L. Wilkins. Agriculture and Human Values 22, no. 3 (2005): pp. 269-273. Note: 2004 Presidential address to the Agriculture, Food, and Human Values Society, Hyde Park, New York, June 11, 2004. [NAL Call Number: HT401 .A36]
64. "The Ecological Agriculture Movement in Modern China," by X.J. Ye, Z.Q. Wang and Q.S. Li. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 92, no. 2-3 (2002): pp. 261-281. [NAL Call Number: S601.A34]
65. Ecological Economics: An Introduction, by G. Edwards Jones, B. Davies and S. Hussain. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Science Ltd., 2000. 266p.
66. "An Ecological Rationale for Sustainable Forest Management Concepts at Riverside Forest Products, Southcentral British Columbia," by R.G. D’Eon, D. Hebert and S.L. Viszlai. Forestry Chronicle 80, no. 3 (2004): pp. 341-348. Note: Summary in French. [NAL Call Number: 99.8 F7623]
67. "Ecological Sustainability in Greek Agriculture: An Application of Energy Flow Approach," by S.M.F. Islam, H. Papadopoulou and B. Manos. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 46, no. 6 (2003): pp. 875-886.
68. "Ecology of Food Systems: Visions for the Future," by C. Francis and D. Rickerl. In Agroecosystems Analysis, by C. Francis and D. Rickerl, pp. 177-197. (Agronomy Monograph, 43) Madison WI: American Society of Agronomy, 2004. [NAL Call Number: 4 Am392 no. 43]
69. "An Economic Evaluation of Long-Term Sustainability in the Dairy Sector," by J.M. Santarossa, A.W. Stott, J.A. Woolliams, S. Brotherstone, E. Wall and M.P. Coffey. Animal Science an International Journal of Fundamental and Applied Research 79, no. 2 (2004): pp. 315-325. [NAL Call Number: SF1.A56]
70. Economics as a Political Muse: Philosophical Reflections on the Relevance of Economics for Ecological Policy, by M.K. Deblonde. Wageningen, Netherlands: Landbouwuniversiteit Wageningen (Wageningen Agricultural University), 2001. 291p. Note: Thesis (doctoral), Wageningen Universiteit, 2001.
Author abstract from Wageningen University Library: http://library.wur.nl/wda/abstracts/ab2940.html (accessed 8/23/07)
71. "Environmental Principles of the Concept of Sustainable Agriculture under the Condition of Irrigation and Drainage," by T.N. Antipova. In Integration and Management of Irrigation, Drainage and Flood Control, pp. 1-13, vol. 1B. New Delhi, India: International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID), 2002. Note: 18th International Congress on Irrigation and Drainage, Montreal, Canada, 2002.
72. "Environmental Sustainability in an Agricultural Development Project: A System Dynamics Approach," by A.K. Saysel, Y. Barlas and O. Yenigun. Journal of Environmental Management 64, no. 3 (2002): pp. 247-260. [NAL Call Number: HC75.E5J6]
73. The Essential Agrarian Reader: The Future of Culture, Community, and the Land, by N. Wirzba. Lexington KY: University Press of Kentucky, 2003. 276p. Note: Contents: The Agrarian Standard, Wendell Berry; The Resettling of America, Brian Donahue; The Mind-set of Agrarianism...New and Old, Maurice Telleen; Sustainable Economic Development: Definitions, Principles, Policies, Herman E. Daly; Placing the Soul: an Agrarian Philosophical Principle, Norman Wirzba; The Current State of Agriculture: Does it Have a Future?, Frederick Kirschenmann; Globalization and the War against Farmers and the Land, Vandana Shiva; The Agrarian Mind: Mere Nostalgia or a Practical Necessity?, Wes Jackson; All Flesh is Grass: A Hopeful Look at the Future of Agrarianism, Gene Logsdon; The Uses of Prophecy, David W. Orr; Country and City: The Common Vision of Agrarians and New Urbanists, Benjamin E. Northrup, Benjamin J. Bruxvoort Lipscomb; New Agrarians: Local Innovators, Susan Witt; The Legal and Legislative Front: The Fight Against Industrial Agriculture, Hank Graddy; Private Property Rights in Land: An Agrarian View, Eric T. Freyfogle; Going to Work, Wendell Berry. [NAL Call Number: HD1433 .E87 2003]
74. "The Ethical Contract as a Tool in Organic Animal Husbandry," by V. Lund, R. Anthony and H. Rocklinsberg. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 17, no. 1 (2004): pp. 23-49. [NAL Call Number: BJ52.5.J68]
75. "Ethical Dilemmas in Sustainable Agriculture," by M. Korthals. International Journal of Food Science and Technology 36, no. 8 (2001): pp. 813-820. [NAL Call Number: TP368.J6]
76. "Ethical Issues Related to Food Sector Evolution in Developing Countries: About Sustainability and Equity," by A.L. Raoult-Wack and N. Bricas. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 15, no. 3 (2002): pp. 325-334. [NAL Call Number: BJ52.5.J68]
77. "Ethical Opportunities in Global Agriculture, Fisheries, and Forestry: The Role for FAO," by D.R.J. Macer, M. Bhardwaj, F. Maekawa and Y. Niimura. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 16, no. 5 (2003): pp. 479-504. Note: Literature review. [NAL Call Number: BJ52.5.J68]
78. "Ethical Questions of Equitable Worldwide Food Production Systems," by J. von Braun and M.A. Brown. Plant Physiology 133, no. 3 (2003): pp. 1040-1045. [NAL Call Number: 450 P692]
79. "Ethics in Food and Agriculture: Views from FAO," by M. Bhardwaj, F. Maekawa, Y. Niimura and D.R.J. Macer. International Journal of Food Science and Technology 38, no. 5 (2003): pp. 565-577. [NAL Call Number: TP368.J6]
80. The Ethics of Sustainable Agricultural Intensification, by Food and Agriculture Organization. (FAO Ethics Series, 3) Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), 2004. 28p. [NAL Call Number: HD9000.5 .F366 no. 3]
Full-text from FAO: ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/007/j0902e/j0902e00.pdf (accessed 8/23/07)
81. "Ethics of Sustainable Development - a Study of Swedish Regulations for Genetically Modified Organisms," by M. Karlsson. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 16, no. 1 (2003): pp. 51-62. [NAL Call Number: BJ52.5.J68]
82. "Evolution of the Stewardship Idea in American Country Life," by G. Wunderlich. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 17, no. 1 (2004): pp. 77-93. [NAL Call Number: BJ52.5.J68]
83. Fair Miles? The Concept of "Food Miles" Through a Sustainable Development Lens, by J. MacGregor and B. Vorley. London, UK: International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED), 2006. 2p.
Abstract and link to full-text (PDF) from IIED: http://www.iied.org/pubs/display.php?o=11064IIED (accessed 8/23/07)
84. "The FAO Definition of Sustainable Development and the Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries: An Analysis of the Related Principles, Criteria and Indicators," by S.M. Garcia. Marine and Freshwater Research 51, no. 5 (2000): pp. 535-541. [NAL Call Number: GC1.A85]
85. "The FAO Guidelines for the Development and Use of Indicators for Sustainable Development of Marine Capture Fisheries and an Australian Example of their Application," by S.M. Garcia, D.J. Staples and J. Chesson. Ocean and Coastal Management 43, no. 7 (2000): pp. 537-556. [NAL Call Number: GC1000.O3]
86. The Farmer’s Decision: Balancing Economic Agriculture Production with Environmental Quality, by J.L. Hatfield. Ankeny IA: Soil and Water Conservation Society, 2005. 251p. Note: Essays based on presentations at a workshop in Honolulu, Hawaii, held November 9-12, 2004. [NAL Call Number: S589.75 .F36 2005]
87. "Feeding the Future — Sustainable Agriculture" by CSIRO Plant Industry. NOVA: Science in the News. Australian Academy of Science, 2001. Note: Web site includes: Key Text, Glossary, Activities, Further Reading and Useful Sites.
Full-text from publisher: http://www.science.org.au/nova/071/071key.htm (accessed 9/10/07)
88. For a Sustainable Agriculture, We Need More Adam Smith, Not Less, by H.S. James, Jr. (Department of Agricultural Economics Working Paper (College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, University of Missouri Columbia), AEWP-2005-03) Columbia MO: College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri-Columbia, 2005. 29p.
Full-text from AgEconSearch: http://purl.umn.edu/26047 (accessed 6/9/08)
89. "The Foundations of Planetary Agrarianism. Thomas Berry and Liberty Hyde Bailey," by P.A. Morgan and S.J. Peters. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 19, no. 5 (2006): pp. 443-468. [NAL Call Number: BJ52.5.J68]
90. "Future Potential for Organic Farming: A Question of Ethics and Productivity," by F. Kirschenmann and G.W. Bird. In Developing and Extending Sustainable Agriculture: A New Social Contract, by C.A. Francis, R.P. Poincelot and G.W. Bird, pp. 307-324. London, UK: Haworth Press, 2006. [NAL Call Number: S494.5.S86 D48 2006]
91. "Geomorphological Concepts and Tools for Sustainable River Ecosystem Management," by M.D. Newson. Aquatic Conservation 12, no. 4 (2002): pp. 365-379. [NAL Call Number: QH541.5.W3A67]
92. Global Development of Organic Agriculture: Challenges and Prospects, by N. Halberg, H.F. Alroe, M.T. Knudsen and E.S. Kristensen. Wallingford, UK: CABI Publishing, 2006. 377p. Note: Studies initiated by the Danish Research Centre for Organic Food and Farming. [NAL Call Number: S605.5 .G58 2006]
93. "Historical Evolution of Soil Organic Matter Concepts and their Relationships with the Fertility and Sustainability of Cropping Systems," by R.J. Manlay, C. Feller and M.J. Swift. Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment 119, no. 3-4 (2007): pp. 217-233. [NAL Call Number: S601.A34]
94. How to House a Hen: Assessing Sustainable Development of Egg Production Systems, by E. Mollenhorst. Wageningen, Netherlands: Wageningen Universiteit (Wageningen University), 2005. 135p. Note: Thesis (doctoral), Wageningen Universiteit, 2005. [NAL Call Number: DISS F2005148]
Author abstract from Wageningen University Library: http://library.wur.nl/wda/abstracts/ab3816.html (accessed 8/23/07)
95. "Humus, Fertility and Sustainability of Cropping Systems: Concepts Over the Past Three Centuries," by C. Feller and R. Manlay. Documentos Embrapa Solos, no. 40 (2003): pp. 1-13. [NAL Call Number: S599.3.B6 D632]
96. "An Integrated Modelling Approach to Sustainable Land Use Concepts in a Low Mountain Range Area," by N. Fohrer and H.G. Frede. In 17th World Congress of Soil Science, pp. 136. Bangkok, Thailand: Soil and Fertilizer Society of Thailand, 2002. Note: Meeting held in Bangkok, Thailand, August 14-20, 2002.
97. "Integrated Resource Management: Moving from Rhetoric to Practice in Australian Agriculture," by J.A. Bellamy and A.K. Johnson. Environmental Management 25, no. 3 (2000): pp. 265-280. [NAL Call Number: HC79.E5E5]
98. Integrating Concepts of Sustainability into Education for Agriculture and Rural Development, by W. van den Bor, P. Holen, A. Wals and W. Leal Filho. (Umweltbildung, Umweltkommunikation Und Nachhaltigkeit, 1434-3819; Bd. 6) Frankfurt am Main; New York: Peter Lang, 2000. 329p. [NAL Call Number: S531 .I485 2000]
99. "Intelligent Consumption: Addressing Consumer Responsibilities for Natural Resources - and Beyond," by V. Simon-Brown. Journal of Extension 42, no. 5 (2004). [NAL Call Number: LC45.4.J682]
Full-text from publisher: http://www.joe.org/joe/2004october/a1.shtml (accessed 8/23/07)
100. "Introduction: Features of Environmental Sustainability in Agriculture: Some Conceptual and Operational Issues," by T. Dalgaard, S. Ferrari and M. Rambonilaza. International Journal of Agricultural Resources Governance and Ecology 5, no. 2-3 (2006): pp. 107-115. Note: In the special issue, " Features of Environmental Sustainability in Agriculture: Where Do We Stand?" edited by S. Ferrari and M. Rambonilaza. [NAL Call Number: S604.5 .I57]
101. "Introduction: Population, Development and Human Natures," by C. Perrings. Environment and Development Economics 7, no. 1 (2002): pp. 157-190. [NAL Call Number: HC79.E5]
102. Introduction to Sustainability: Dictionary. Sustainable Table, no date.
Full-text from Sustainable Table: http://www.sustainabletable.org/intro/dictionary/index.html (accessed 9/10/07)
103. "Is There a Meaningful Definition of Sustainability?" by S. Owens. Plant Genetic Resources: Characterization and Utilization 1, no. 1 (2003): pp. 5-9. [NAL Call Number: SB4 .P54]
104. Issues in Defining Sustainable Agriculture: Examples. Emeryville CA: Scientific Certification Systems, 2006.
105. "Land Quality Indicators of Sustainable Land Management Across Scales," by J. Bouma. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 88, no. 2 (2002): pp. 129-136. [NAL Call Number: S601.A34]
106. "Livestock, Ethics, and Quality of Life," by J. Hodges. Journal of Animal Science 81, no. 11 (2003): pp. 2887-2894. [NAL Call Number: 49 J82]
107. "Local-Level Criteria and Indicators: An Aboriginal Perspective on Sustainable Forest Management," by E. Sherry, R. Halseth, G. Fondahl, M. Karjala and B. Leon. Forestry 78, no. 5 (2005): pp. 513-539. [NAL Call Number: 99.8 F767]
108. "The Long-Term Protection of Biological Diversity - Lessons from Market Ethics," by J. Barkmann and R. Marggraf. Poiesis & Praxis: International Journal of Technology Assessment and Ethics of Science 3, no. 1-2 (2004): pp. 3-21. Note: Also published as Working Paper Institut fur Agrarokonomie Georg August Universitat Gottingen. no. 0402.
109. Managing for Healthy Ecosystems, by D.J. Rapport, W.L. Lasley, D.E. Rolston, N.O. Nielsen, C.O. Qualset and A.B. Damania. Boca Raton FL: CRC Press Inc., 2003. 1510p. Note: Papers from an international congress held at the University of California, Davis, Aug. 1999. 137 papers including 37 under the heading, "Emerging Concepts." [NAL Call Number: QH75.A1 M37 2003]
110. "Market Integration and Ecosystem Degradation: Is Sustainable Tourism Development in Rural Communities a Contradiction in Terms?" by S. Gossling. Environment, Development and Sustainability 5, no. 3/4 (2003): pp. 383-400. [NAL Call Number: HC79.E5 E588]
111. "The Meaning of Sustainable Agriculture: Reflections of Some Kansas Practitioners," by D. Norman, L. Bloomquist, R. Janke, S. Freyenberger, J. Jost, B. Schurle and H. Kok. American Journal of Alternative Agriculture 15, no. 3 (2000): pp. 129-136. [NAL Call Number: S605.5.A43]
112. "Measuring Agricultural Sustainability in Terms of Efficiency: The Case of Dutch Sugar Beet Growers," by T.J. de Koeijer, G.A.A. Wossink, P.C. Struik and J.A. Renkema. Journal of Environmental Management 66, no. 1 (2002): pp. 9-17. [NAL Call Number: HC75.E5J6]
113. "Measuring or Defining Sustainability? Impact Assessment of an Agricultural Technology," by D. Parthasarathy. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal 20, no. 4 (2002): pp. 293-298.
114. "Measuring the Sustainability of the Food Supply Chain: A Case Study of the UK," by N. Yakovleva. Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning 9, no. 1 (2007): pp. 75-10.
115. "A Method to Define Breeding Goals for Sustainable Dairy Cattle Production," by H.M. Nielsen, L.G. Christensen and J. Odegard. Journal of Dairy Science 89, no. 9 (2006): pp. 3615-3625. [NAL Call Number: 44.8 J822]
116. "Methodological Integration for Sustainable Natural Resource Management Beyond Field/Farm Level: Lessons from the Ecoregional Initiative for the Humid and Sub-Humid Tropics of Asia," by S.P. Kam, J.C. Castella, C.T. Hoanh, G. Trebuil and F. Bousquet. International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology 9, no. 4 (2002): pp. 383-395. [NAL Call Number: HC79.E5 I56]
117. "A Methodology and Terminology of Sustainability Assessment and Its Perspectives for Rural Planning," by A. Bosshard. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 77, no. 1-2 (2000): pp. 29-41. [NAL Call Number: S601.A34]
118. "Models of Sustainability and Sustainable Development," by M. Diesendorf. International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology 1, no. 2 (2001): pp. 109-123. [NAL Call Number: S604.5 .I57]
119. "Modern Concepts for the Sustainable Use of Plant Genetic Resources in the Mediterranean Natural Protected Areas: The Case Study of the Alta Murgia Park (Italy)," by P. Perrino, G. Laghetti and M. Terzi. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 53, no. 4 (2006): pp. 695-710. [NAL Call Number: SB123.3 .G46]
120. "Motivation Theory and Research in Sustainable Agriculture," by S.K. Trout, C.A. Francis and J.E. Barbuto, Jr. In Developing and Extending Sustainable Agriculture: A New Social Contract, by C.A. Francis, R.P. Poincelot and G.W. Bird, pp. 289-305. London, UK: Haworth Press, 2006. [NAL Call Number: S494.5.S86 D48 2006]
121. "Natural Living - a Precondition for Animal Welfare in Organic Farming," by V. Lund. Livestock Science 100, no. 2/3 (2006): pp. 71-83. [NAL Call Number: SF1 .L5]
122. "Nature's Concept: The 'New Agriculture' Amidst Ecology, Economy and the Demythologization of the Gene," by U. Geldermann and K.H. Kogel. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 188, no. 6 (2002): pp. 368-375.
123. The New American Farmer: Profiles of Agricultural Innovation. 2nd edition. Beltsville MD: Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE), USDA, 2005. [NAL Call Number: aS494.5.I5 N39 2005]
Full-text from publisher: http://www.sare.org/publications/naf.htm (accessed 9/10/07)
124. "New Dimensions in Agroecology for Developing a Biological Approach to Crop Production," by D.R. Clements and A. Shrestha. Journal of Crop Improvement 11, no. 1-2 (2004): pp. 1-20. [NAL Call Number: SB1.J683]
125. The Next Green Revolution: Essential Steps to a Healthy, Sustainable Agriculture, by J.E. Horne and M. McDermott. New York: Food Products Press, 2001. 312p. [NAL Call Number: S441 .H67 2001]
126. "Northwest Coast Indigenous Institutions That Supported Resilience and Sustainability," by R.L. Trosper. Ecological Economics 41, no. 2 (2002): pp. 329-344. [NAL Call Number: QH540.E26]
127. On Defining Sustainable Agriculture, by J. Ikerd undated.
Full-text from North Carolina Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program: http://www.sustainable-ag.ncsu.edu/onsustaibableag.htm (accessed 8/23/07)
128. "Operational Indicators for Measuring Agricultural Sustainability in Developing Countries," by L. Zhen and J.K. Routray. Environmental Management 32, no. 1 (2003): pp. 34-46. [NAL Call Number: HC79.E5E5]
129. "Operationalizing Sustainability: An Emerging Eco-Philosophy in Chinese Ecological Agriculture," by T. Shi. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture 24, no. 4 (2004): pp. 113-131. [NAL Call Number: S494.5.S86S8]
130. "Organic Agriculture and Ecological Justice: Ethics and Practice," by H.F. Alroe, J. Byrne and L. Glover. In Global Development of Organic Agriculture: Challenges and Prospects, pp. 75-112. Wallingford, UK: CABI Publishing, 2006. [NAL Call Number: S605.5 .G58 2006]
131. "Organic Farming: An Approach to Make Agriculture More Sustainable?" by R. Kratochvil. OGA Jahrbuch Journal of the Austrian Society of Agricultural Economics 12, no. 0 (2002): pp. 245-260. Note: OGA Jahrestagung, Vienna, September 26-27, 2002. Summary in German.
132. "Organic Farming and the Sustainability of Agricultural Systems," by D. Rigby and D. Caceres. Agricultural Systems 68, no. 1 (2001): pp. 21-40. [NAL Call Number: HD1.A3]
133. "Organic Production and Ethical Trade: Definition, Practice and Links," by A.W. Browne, P.J.C. Harris, A.H. Hofny-Collins, N. Pasiecznik and R.R. Wallace. Food Policy 25, no. 1 (2000): pp. 69-89. [NAL Call Number: HD9000.1.F66]
134. People Managing Forests: The Links between Human Well-Being and Sustainability, by C.J.P. Colfer and Y. Byron. Washington DC: Resources for the Future; Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR), 2001. 447p. [NAL Call Number: SD247 .P46 2001]
Table of contents and selected chapters full-text from CIFOR: http://www.cifor.cgiar.org/acm/pub/toc-pmf.html (accessed 8/23/07)
135. "The Power of Food," by P. McMichael. In Globalization, Localization and Sustainable Livelihoods, by R. Almas and G. Lawrence, pp. 69-85. Aldershot, UK: Ashgate Publishing Ltd., 2002. [NAL Call Number: HD49.C6 G57 2003]
136. "'The Principles of Rational Agriculture,' by Albrecht Daniel Thaer (1752-1828). An Approach to the Sustainability of Cropping Systems at the Beginning of the 19th Century," by C. Feller, L. Thuries, R. Manlay, P. Robin and E. Frossard. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 166, no. 6 (2003): pp. 687-698. Note: Summary in German. [NAL Call Number: QK867 .J68]
137. "Principles of Sustainable Land-Use Systems Developed and Evaluated by the Munich Research Alliance on Agro-Ecosystems (FAM)," by K. Auerswald, H. Albrecht, M. Kainz and J. Pfadenhauer. Petermanns Geographische Mitteilungen 144, no. 2 (2000): pp. 16-25. Note: In English. [NAL Call Number: 474 M69]
138. Proceedings: Second Expert Meeting on Harmonizing Forest Related Definitions for Use by Various Stakeholders, by W. Killmann. Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), 2002. Note: Meeting held in Rome, Italy, September 11-13, 2002 (first meeting held January 2002). Includes background documents from many organizations that define terms and phrases.
Full-text from FAO: http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/005/Y4171E/Y4171E00.HTM (accessed 8/23/07)
139. "Progress Towards Defining Ecologically-Sustainable Grazing Management: The 'Moorland Biomass' and 'Heather Suppression' Projects," by F.W. Kirkham and J.A. Milne. Aspects of Applied Biology, no. 58 (2000): pp. 151-158. [NAL Call Number: QH301.A76]
140. "Putting Food Production in Context: Toward a Postmechanistic Agricultural Ethic," by D.R. Keller and E.C. Brummer. BioScience 52, no. 3 (2002): pp. 264-271. [NAL Call Number: 500 Am322A]
141. "Quantitative Simulation of Biochemical Processes in Peatlands as a Tool to Define Sustainable Use?" by M. Trepel, T. Davidsson and S.E. Jorgensen. Suo 51, no. 3 (2000): pp. 83-93. [NAL Call Number: 54.8 SU7]
142. "Reconsidering the Roles of Agriculture in the Century of Sustainable Development: The 21st Century," by Y. Hara. In Prospects for Food Security and Agricultural Sustainability in Developing Regions: New Roles of International Collaborative Research, pp. 13-18. (JIRCAS International Symposium Series, 12) Tsukuba, Japan: Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences, 2004. Note: 10th JIRCAS International Symposium, United Nations University, Tokyo, November 18-19, 2003, edited by S. Miyata, M. Tada and O. Koyama. [NAL Call Number: SB111.S2 J57 no. 12]
143. "The Reshaping of Conventional Farming: A North American Perspective," by P.B. Thompson. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 14, no. 2 (2001): pp. 217-229. Note: In the special issue, " Two Systems - One World," edited by M.J. Reiss. Paper presented at the 2nd Congress of the European Society for Agricultural and Food Ethics, August 24-26, 2000, Copenhagen. [NAL Call Number: BJ52.5.J68]
144. "A Review of the History, Definitions and Methods of Continuous Cover Forestry with Special Attention to Afforestation and Restocking," by A. Pommerening and S.T. Murphy. Forestry: The Journal of the Society of Foresters of Great Britain 77, no. 1 (2004): pp. 27-44. [NAL Call Number: 99.8 F767]
145. "The Role of Farming Systems Group Approaches in Achieving Sustainability in Australian Agriculture," by A.M. Ridley. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 45, no. 6 (2005): pp. 603-615. [NAL Call Number: 23 Au792]
146. "Role of Integrated Pest Management and Sustainable Development," by G.W. Bird. In Integrated Pest Management in the Global Arena, by K.M. Maredia, D. Dakouo and D. Mota-Sanchez, pp. 73-85. Wallingford, UK: CABI Publishing, 2003. [NAL Call Number: SB950 .I4575 2003]
147. "The Role of Livestock for Sustainability in Mixed Farming: Criteria and Scenario Studies under Varying Resource Allocation," by J.B. Schiere, M.N.M. Ibrahim and H. Van Keulen. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 90, no. 2 (2002): pp. 139-153. [NAL Call Number: S601.A34]
148. "Social and Environmental Attributes of Food Products in an Emerging Mass Market: Challenges of Signaling and Consumer Perception, with European Illustrations," by J.M. Codron, L. Siriex and T. Reardon. Agriculture and Human Values 23, no. 3 (2006): pp. 283-297. [NAL Call Number: HT401 .A36]
149. "Soil Health and Global Sustainability: Translating Science into Practice," by J.W. Doran. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 88, no. 2 (2002): pp. 119-127. [NAL Call Number: S601.A34]
150. "The Soil Quality Concept: A Tool for Evaluating Sustainability," by D.L. Karlen and S.S. Andrews. DIAS Report, Plant Production, no. 38 (2000): pp. 15-26. [NAL Call Number: SB187.D4D54]
151. Sustainability Analysis for Irrigation Water Management: Concepts, Methodology, and Application to the Aral Sea Region, by X. Cai, D.C. McKinney and M.W. Rosegrant. (EPTD Discussion Paper, Environment and Production Technology Division, International Food Policy Research Institute, 86) Washington DC: International Food Policy Research Institute, 2001. 49p.
152. "Sustainability and Multifunctionality in Agriculture: Overview and Conceptual Framework," by W. Legg. In Role of Multifunctionality in Agricultural Policy Reforms, pp. 17-37. Tokyo, Japan: Asian Productivity Organization (APO), 2001. Note: "Report of an APO Seminar on Role of Multifunctionality in Agricultural Policy Reforms held in Tokyo, Japan from 26 January to 3 February 2000." [NAL Call Number: S470.A1 A66 2000]
153. "Sustainability, Coastal Erosion and Climate Change: An Environmental Justice Analysis," by M. Stallworthy. Journal of Environmental Law 18, no. 3 (2006): pp. 357-373.
154. Sustainability in Action: Sectoral and Regional Case Studies, by J. Kohn, J. Gowdy and J. van der Straaten. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2001. 302p.
155. "Sustainability in Agriculture - an Evaluation of Principal Goal-Oriented Concepts to Close the Gap Between Theory and Practice," by S. Von Wiren Lehr. Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment 84, no. 2 (2001): pp. 115-129. [NAL Call Number: S601.A34]
156. "Sustainability of Grazing Systems: Goals, Concepts and Methods," by J. Hodgson and S.C. da Silva. In Grassland Ecophysiology and Grazing Ecology, by G. Lemaire, pp. 1-13. Wallingford , UK: CABI Publishing, 2000. Note: Edited and revised versions of papers presented at an international conference held in Curitiba, Parana, Brazil, Aug. 24-26, 1999. [NAL Call Number: SF84.84 .G68 2000]
157. "The Sustainability of Irrigation," by D. Hillel and P. Vlek. Advances in Agronomy 87 (2005): pp. 55-84. [NAL Call Number: 30 Ad9]
158. "Sustainability: Perceptions of Problems and Progress of the Paradigm," by C.J. Pearson. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability 1, no. 1 (2003): pp. 3-13.
159. Sustainable Agriculture. Answers.com, 2007. Note: Definitions from: Food & Culture Encyclopedia (Gale Group, Inc.); Taylor's Dictionary for Gardeners, by Frances Tenenbaum (Houghton Mifflin Company); and Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
Collected definitions from Answers.com: http://www.answers.com/topic/sustainable-agriculture (accessed 8/22/07)
160. "Sustainable Agriculture and Free Market Economics: Finding Common Ground in Adam Smith," by H.S. James, Jr. Agriculture and Human Values 23, no. 4 (2006): pp. 427-438. [NAL Call Number: HT401 .A36]
161. Sustainable Agriculture: How to Make It Work? A Modeling Approach to Support Management of a Mixed Ecological Farm, by J. Wolfert. Wageningen, Netherlands: Wageningen Universiteit, 2002. 278p. Note: Thesis (doctoral), Wageningen Universiteit, 2002. [NAL Call Number: DISS F2002149]
Abstract from Wageningen University Library: http://library.wur.nl/wda/abstracts/ab3215.html (accessed 9/09/07)
162. "Sustainable Agriculture is Humane, Humane Agriculture is Sustainable," by M.C. Appleby. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 18, no. 3 (2005): pp. 293-303. [NAL Call Number: BJ52.5.J68]
163. Sustainable Agriculture: Overview. USDA, Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Service (CSREES), Updated 2007. Note: Includes sections: "There are thousands of ways to farm more sustainably - 10 farm and ranch profiles describe enterprises that are doing so;" "Sustainable agriculture encompasses many different production methods, systems, and approaches - one is organic farming;" "The goals of sustainable agriculture apply to farms and ranches of all sizes and types, yet methods and practices may differ from one size or type to another;" and "Sustainable agriculture is related to the broader concept of sustainable development, which addresses the same issues - economics, environment, and community."
Full-text from USDA/CSREES: http://www.csrees.usda.gov/sustainableagriculture.cfm (accessed 9/10/07)
164. "Sustainable Cultivation Concepts for Domestic Energy Production from Biomass," by M. Karpenstein-Machan. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 20, no. 1 (2001): pp. 1-14. Note: In the special issue, " Bioenergy," edited by B.V. Conger. [NAL Call Number: QK1.C83]
165. "Sustainable Development of Food Production: A Case Study on Scenarios for Pig Production," by S. Stern, U. Sonesson, S. Gunnarsson, I. Oborn, K.I. Kumm and T. Nybrant. Ambio 34, no. 4-5 (2005): pp. 402-407. [NAL Call Number: QH540.A52]
166. "Sustainable Development, Sustainable Livelihoods and Land Reform in South Africa: A Conceptual and Ethical Inquiry," by R. Attfield, J. Hattingh and M. Matshabaphala. Third World Quarterly 25, no. 2 (2004): pp. 405-421.
167. "The Sustainable Grazing Systems Pasture Model: Description, Philosophy and Application to the SGS National Experiment," by I.R. Johnson, G.M. Lodge and R.E. White. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 43, no. 7/8 (2003): pp. 711-728. [NAL Call Number: 23 Au792]
168. "Sustainable Land and Water Resources Management in Egypt: A Conceptualization of a Holistic Agro-Ecosystem Approach," by H.M. Gaber, S.M. Abd Allah and F.M. Kishk. Alexandria Journal of Agricultural Research 48, no. 3 (2003): pp. 201-216. [NAL Call Number: 24 AL2]
169. "Sustainable Sericulture - Dimensions and Concepts for New Millennium," by K.V.S. Rao, G.P. Mahobia, V.K. Pande and K. Thangavelu. Bulletin of Indian Academy of Sericulture 5, no. 1 (2001): pp. 1-5.
170. "Sustainable Systems Theory: Ecological and Other Aspects," by H. Cabezas, C.W. Pawlowski, A.L. Mayer and N.T. Hoagland. Journal of Cleaner Production 13, no. 5 (2005): pp. 455-467. [NAL Call Number: "Call number not available"]
171. "Sustaining Agriculture: An Examination of Current Legislation Promoting Sustainable Agriculture as an Alternative to Conventional Farming Practices," by C.B. Connard. Penn State Environmental Law Review 13, no. 1 (2004): pp. 25-145.
172. "Systems Approaches for the Design of Sustainable Agro-Ecosystems," by M.J. Kropff, J. Bouma and J.W. Jones. Agricultural Systems 70, no. 2-3 (2001): pp. 369-393. [NAL Call Number: HD1.A3]
173. "A Systems Based Framework to Examine the Multi-Contextural Application of the Sustainability Concept," by A.K. Manderson. Environment, Development and Sustainability 8, no. 1 (2006): pp. 85-97. [NAL Call Number: HC79.E5 E588]
174. "A Systems Tool for Sustainability-Based Planning: Modelling Socio-Cultural Impacts in Rural Texas," by T. Jamal, M. Borges, M. Peterson, T. Peterson and R.S. Figueiredo. Journal of Tourism Studies 15, no. 1 (2004): pp. 18-33.
Full-text from publisher: http://homes.jcu.edu.au/business/idc/groups/public/documents/journal_article/
jcudev_012877.pdf (accessed 8/23/07)
175. "Tasting Food, Tasting Sustainability: Defining the Attributes of an Alternative Food System with Competent, Ordinary People," by J. Kloppenburg, Jr., S. Lezberg, K. de Master, G.W. Stevenson and J. Hendrickson. Human Organization 59, no. 2 (2000): pp. 177-186. [NAL Call Number: GN1.H8]
176. "Towards a Theory of Values-Based Labeling," by E. Barham. Agriculture and Human Values 19, no. 4 (2002): pp. 349-360. [NAL Call Number: HT401 .A36]
177. "Towards Developing a Geoscientific Approach to Sustainable Agricultural and Rural Development," by D. Al Bakri. Environmental Geology 40, no. 4-5 (2001): pp. 543-555. [NAL Call Number: QE1.E5]
178. "Towards Sustainable Consumption: Economics and Ethical Concerns for the Environment in Consumer Choices," by J. Paavola. Review of Social Economy 59, no. 2 (2001): pp. 227-248.
179. "Towards Sustainable Management of Irrigation Systems by Water Users Associations in Colombia - a Conceptual Framework," by H. Depeweg and N. Urrutia. In Integration and Management of Irrigation, Drainage and Flood Control, pp. 1-18, vol. 1B. New Delhi, India: International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID), 2002. Note: 18th International Congress on Irrigation and Drainage, Montreal, Canada, 2002.
180. Tracing the Evolution of Organic/Sustainable Agriculture: A Selected and Annotated Bibliography, by M.V. Gold and J.P. Gates. Revised edition. (Bibliographies and Literature of Agriculture, 72) Beltsville MD: Alternative Farming Systems Information Center, National Agricultural Library, USDA, 2007. 101p. [NAL Call Number: aZ5076.A1U54 no.72]
Full-text from publisher: http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/pubs/tracing/tracing.shtml (accessed 9/10/07)
181. "Traditional Andean Cultivation Systems and Implications for Sustainable Land Use," by S.R.P. Halloy, R. Ortega, K. Yager and A. Seimon. Acta Horticulturae 650 (2005): pp. 31-55. Note: Proceedings of the First International Symposium on Root and Tuber Crops 'Food Down Under', Palmerston North, New Zealand, February 9-12, 2004, edited by M.A. Nichols. Article summary in Spanish. [NAL Call Number: 80 Ac82]
182. "Twenty Years of Promoting Idea, Ideals of Sustainable Agriculture," by N. Hamilton. Leopold Letter (Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture) 19, no. 2 (2007). Note: Guest commentary [NAL Call Number: S494.5.S86L46]
Full-text from publisher: http://www.leopold.iastate.edu/pubs/nwl/2007/2007-2-leoletter/anniversary.htm (accessed 9/10/07)
183. Twenty Years of Sustainable Agriculture, by J. Ikerd. 2004. Note: Paper presented at the University of Vermont Center for Sustainable Agriculture, Tenth Anniversary Celebration, Burlington, VT, January 23, 2004.
Full-text from University of Missouri: http://web.missouri.edu/~ikerdj/papers/Vermont-UVT-20yrs.htm (accessed 8/23/07)
184. Understanding the Links between Ecosystem Health and Social System Well-Being: An Annotated Bibliography, by D.M. Elmer, H.H. Christensen and E.M. Donoghue. (General Technical Report PNW, 559) Portland OR: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station, 2002. 47p. [NAL Call Number: aSD11 .A46 no. 559]
Full-text from USDA/FS: http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/4825 (accessed 8/23/07)
185. "Using Indicators to Measure Sustainability: Recent Methodological and Conceptual Developments," by A.L. Dahl. Marine and Freshwater Research 51, no. 5 (2000): pp. 427-433. [NAL Call Number: GC1.A85]
186. "Using Perceptual Maps to Communicate Concepts of Sustainable Forest Management - Collaborative Research with the Office of the Wet'Suwet'En Nation in British Columbia," by S.D. Allen. Forestry Chronicle 81, no. 3 (2005): pp. 381-386. Note: Summary in French. [NAL Call Number: 99.8 F7623]
187. "Value Wars in the New Periphery: Sustainability, Rural Communities and Agriculture," by J. Sumner. Agriculture and Human Values 22, no. 3 (2005): pp. 303-312. [NAL Call Number: HT401 .A36]
188. "Values of Farmers, Sustainability and Agricultural Policy," by B. Schoon and R. Te Grotenhuis. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 12, no. 1 (2000): pp. 17-27. [NAL Call Number: BJ52.5.J68]
189. "Viewing and Managing Natural Resources as Human-Ecosystem Relationships," by J.J. Kennedy and N.E. Koch. Forest Policy and Economics 6, no. 5 (2004): pp. 497-504. [NAL Call Number: SD1 .F6747]
190. "A Village Concept of Sustainable Agriculture for Rural Africa," by F.P. Kapila and C. Kaoma. Agricultura Tropica et Subtropica 38, no. 1 (2005): pp. 68-70. [NAL Call Number: SB111.A2P7]
191. "Water Resources Management at the Turn of the Millennium: Towards a New Scientific Paradigm/ La Gestion De L'Eau L'Aube Du 3e Millenaire: Vers Un Paradigme Scientifique Nouveau," by J. Ganoulis. Revue Des Sciences De L'Eau 14, no. 2 (2001): pp. 213-230. Note: In English and French. [NAL Call Number: TD202.R48]
192. "Water Sustainability: Science or Science Fiction? Perspective from One Scientist," by W.W. Wood. In Water Resources Perspectives: Evaluation, Management and Policy, by A.S. Alsharhan and W.W. Wood, pp. 45-51. (Developments in Water Science, 50) Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier Science B.V., 2003. [NAL Call Number: TC405 .A47 2003]
193. "Why American Agriculture is not Sustainable," by F. Kirschenmann. Renewable Resources Journal 20, no. 3 (2002): pp. 7-11. [NAL Call Number: QH76.R45]