USDA.gov
National Agricultural Library Masthead
Random images that represent what the National Agricultural Library offers
  HomeAbout National Agricultural LibraryNational Agricultural Library CatalogNational Agricultural Library CollectionsInformation CentersNational Agricultural Library ServicesHelpContact Us
 Search National Agricultural Library
   
Search all USDA
advanced search
search tips
browse by audience
browse by subject
animals and livestock
education and outreach
food and nutrition
history, art and biography
laws and regulations
marketing and trade
natural resources and environment
plants and crops
research and technology
rural and community development
 
You are here: Home / NAL Collections / Special Collections / Guide to the Collections / Index to the Manuscript Collections / Search Results Printer Friendly
National Agricultural Library Collections
  
Special Collections

Index to the Manuscript Collections--Search Results

73 record(s) found

Collection Number: 24
Collection Name: Bolton, James, Manuscript
Earliest Date: 1776
Latest Date: 1795
Linear Feet: 0.75
Collection Description: The James Bolton manuscript is the original manuscript Icones Fungorum Circa Halifax Sponte Nascentium [Halifax, England], 1784-1792. It contains notes and drawings upon which the author, James Bolton, based his published work, entitled, An History of Fungesses growing about Halifax (England), four volumes, 182 copper plates, Halifax, 1788-1791. The six manuscript volumes contain 242 watercolor plates representing the plants mostly in their natural size, with brief remarks on the page opposite each illustration indicating where and when the specimen was collected. Because some of his original names were tentative, Bolton went through the manuscript volumes and inserted at the top of each page the name finally adopted for publication with the citation of the plate upon which the species occurs in the published work.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: James Bolton (1750-1799) was a British mycologist who illustrated fungi. He became interested in fungi through his work on William Watson’s The History and antiquities of the parish of Halifax, in Yorkshire (1775). Bolton provided illustrations for several natural history publications, but he was best known for his book An history of the fungusses growing about Halifax (1788-1791). This book established Bolton’s place in mycology, and was a standard resource for the identification of mushrooms in the field.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 27
Collection Name: Brant, Albert Wade, Collection: American Poultry Historical Society Papers
Collection Group: Poultry Science Collections
Earliest Date: 1907
Latest Date: 1997
Linear Feet: 28.5
Collection Description: The Albert Wade Brant Collection contains copies of scientific literature and non-published documents on poultry meat and egg research, dating from approximately 1930 until 1998. An author file of 17,000 cards accompanies the publications. The abstracts were generated or made available by the following organizations or individuals: Institute of American Poultry Industries; University of Illinois; U.S. Egg and Poultry Magazine; Dr. George F. Stewart and A. Wade Brant. Other materials in the collection include minutes of the Pacific Dairy and Poultry Association (PDPA), Institute of American Poultry Industries (IAPI), letters, photographs, cartoons, post cards, humorous poems, chicken and turkey stories, newspaper clippings, chicken jokes, Poultry Science Association mementos, and films.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Albert Wade Brant (b. 1919) graduated from Kansas State University in 1940 with a bachelor of science degree in poultry husbandry, received a master of science degree in poultry nutrition from Michigan State University in 1942, and a Ph.D. in food science and technology in 1949 from Iowa State University. For 10 years (1949-1959) Brant worked for the USDA’s Agricultural Research Service (ARS) in Beltsville, Maryland, conducting research on egg and poultry meat quality, rising to the position of chief of the Poultry Research Branch, Animal Husbandry Research Division. From late-1959 through 1980 Brant worked at the University of California – Davis, College of Agriculture, Department of Food Science and Technology as a Food Technologist, Lecturer in Food Science and Technology, and Associate in the Agricultural Experiment Station. Brant was actively involved with the World Poultry Science Association (WPSA) and its USA Branch (and predecessor committee) from 1958-1996 and remains a lifetime member. From 1965-1978, he served as secretary/ treasurer, vice president, and president of the USA Branch. In 1978 he was elected treasurer of the WPSA and served in that capacity until 1996. Brant authored or co-authored over 250 research papers, bulletins, technical articles, and book chapters, and two public service patents.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Audiovisuals
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 40
Collection Name: Carpenter, Clifford D., Poultry Humor Art Collection
Earliest Date: 1952
Latest Date: 1962
Linear Feet: 6.25
Collection Description: The Clifford D. Carpenter Poultry Humor Art Collection contains original artwork, comics, and advertisements created by artists Joe E. Buresch, Charles Dennis, Charles W. Trotter, and others.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Clifford D. Carpenter (1897-1965) received a doctorate in veterinary medicine from Cornell University in 1920 and a master of science degree from the University of Kansas in 1938. He was the founder of the first private, exclusively-poultry veterinary practice in America in 1923 and worked in this practice from 1923-1935. From 1935-1944, he worked in an industry veterinary practice. President of the Institute of American Poultry Industries, 1944-1958, he provided pioneering and inspiring leadership to the rapidly growing and changing poultry industry. He was a delegate and chairman of the U.S. participation committee to the 9th, 11th, and 12th World's Poultry Congress. In 1968, he was elected to the American Poultry Historical Society Poultry Hall of Fame.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 44
Collection Name: Coxe, William, Manuscript
Earliest Date: 1810
Latest Date: 1831
Linear Feet: 0.5
Collection Description: The William Coxe Manuscript is a two-volume, undated manuscript on pomology. The first manuscript volume contains 832 pages of text and sketches of fruits which William Coxe used to write A View of the Cultivation of Fruit Trees in America, published in 1817. This volume includes notes with dates ranging from 1810-1828. The notes were intended for use in a second edition of A View of the Cultivation of Fruit Trees in America, which was never published due to Coxe's death. The second manuscript volume consists of an atlas of life-size, watercolor plates of fruit on Bristol-board, painted by Coxe's daughters. The watercolor plates are cut out from the Bristol-board and fastened to the leaves of the book, then each name is handwritten in pen above the illustration.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: William Coxe (1762-1831), a pomologist, was one of the foremost fruit growers in America who experimented with new varieties of fruits at his home in Burlington, New Jersey. He collected specimens from the United States and abroad. A View of the Cultivation of Fruit Trees in America is a classic of American pomological literature. It is considered by many specialists as the illustrative evidence of fruit culture during the colonial and revolutionary period of the new American nation. William A. Taylor, assistant pomologist, U.S. Department of Agriculture, read an 1857 article in Country Gentleman about the manuscript. Through the use of Library of Congress geneological materials, Taylor was able to contact Coxe's family members and locate the manuscripts. The grandchildren of Elizabeth (Coxe) McMurtrie, one of Coxe's daughters, donated the manuscripts to Secretary of Agriculture D. F. Houston in 1915.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: Portion of collection digitized

Collection Number: 45
Collection Name: Cram, Eloise, Papers
Earliest Date: 1853
Latest Date: 1991
Linear Feet: 4.5
Collection Description: The Eloise Cram Papers contain correspondence, photographs, scientific articles, and various ephemera relating to the professional lives and work of several scientists employed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI) and by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The scientists included are Eloise B. Cram, Maurice C. Hall, Brayton H. Ransom, Charles W. Stiles, Albert Hassell, and Daniel E. Salmon.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Parasitologist Eloise Cram (1897-1957) entered government service as a zoologist for the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI), where she became noted as a world authority on the parasites of poultry, and eventually rose to be Head, Parasites of Poultry and Game Birds, USDA. When she took a position at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), she contributed to the study of pinworm and researched the curbing of the helminthic disease Schistosomiasis.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 46
Collection Name: Shorthorn Cattle Catalog Collection
Earliest Date: 1900
Latest Date: 2002
Linear Feet: 81
Collection Description: The Shorthorn Cattle Catalog Collection includes approximately 4,500 catalogs of Shorthorn public sales (a few private sale or herd catalogs), complete or nearly complete files of breed magazines, official herd books, breed history books, and a wide variety of ephemeral publications. Most of the catalogs were produced in the United States, but there are catalogs from Canada, the British Isles, Australia, South Africa, and other countries where Shorthorn cattle are bred.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Wayne Caldwell Neely (1904-1994) was a chairman of the department of economics and sociology at Hood College, in Frederick, Maryland. After Neely’s retirement from teaching in 1972, he served as secretary-treasurer of the Maryland Shorthorn Association until 1988. The Shorthorn Cattle Catalog Collection is an outgrowth of Neely’s love of the study of pedigrees and show and sale reports. His family owned a farm in Iowa called Verd Lea (meaning "green field"). The farm was actively engaged in breeding purebred Shorthorn cattle from 1883 until the farm was donated to the Wallace Foundation for Rural Research and Development in 1993.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 47
Collection Name: Historic Poster Collection
Earliest Date: 1877
Latest Date: 1950
Bulk Dates: 1915-1950
Linear Feet: 90
Collection Description: The Historic Poster Collection contains approximately 470 posters relating to World Wars I and II, poultry, cattle, dairy, food, and farming. Most of the posters are not dated. There are approximately 300 World War I- and World War II-era posters. Although many of these posters are not dated, the known date-range runs from 1917-1919 and 1940-1946. The posters display government information relating to wartime agricultural programs and educate and encourage Americans to participate in the war effort through increased food production and conservation. Homemakers are asked to Win the War in the Kitchen by planting war gardens and canning vegetables, while farmers are told that Your Farm Can Help, and encouraged to plant particular crops, construct storage silos, and eliminate plant diseases to help the war effort. Additional World War II posters highlight the various important uses of cotton by U.S. soldiers and encourage Americans to Make America Strong by promoting community education and involvement in proper meal preparation and food preservation. The collection also includes approximately 100 poultry posters and promotional advertisements. Most materials are not dated. The poultry-related advertisements and educational posters provide information about poultry processing, production, and standards of quality; and encourage the consumption of eggs, chicken, and turkey.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Posters
Digitization Status: Portion of collection digitized

Collection Number: 59
Collection Name: USDA Fiber Collection
Earliest Date: 1902
Latest Date: 1982
Linear Feet: 189
Collection Description: The USDA Fiber Collection contains documents relating to more than 300 genera of plants used for fiber. The materials cover the subject of natural plant fiber crops other than cotton and include information on cordage, textiles, and miscellaneous fibers as well as the products made from them. There are reprints and photocopies of fiber articles with an extensive card index, manuscripts, foreign and domestic publications, promotional brochures, reports, newspaper clippings, glass and acetate negatives, slides, black and white photographs, and fiber specimens.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: In the early 1900s, Lyster H. Dewey, U.S. Department of Agriculture botanist in charge of fiber plant investigations, created the collection. The collection was begun in the early 1900s by Lyster H. Dewey and was called the "Dewey Index." A separate set of reference materials, mainly on hard or cordage fibers, was started when Harry Edwards took over the hard fiber work in 1915. After he retired, all references were filed in the Dewey Index as they came in. The Dewey Index grew unchanged to thousands of index cards and thousands of indexed publications and reprints. Fiber specialists researched, traveled, and observed commercial production of fiber and research projects around the world. When research work began at Arlington Farms, fiber plants were included and research gradually became a greater part of the activity. Later, cooperative research was expanded to other parts of the United States, especially in Michigan, Wisconsin, Oregon, California, Florida, and Maryland, but was not limited to those states. In 1943, the fiber office was moved from the Administration Building in Washington, D.C., to Beltsville in Buildings 003 and 001 where it continued (in 001) until moved to the National Agricultural Library in 1984. In 1965, the research on plant fibers other than cotton was discontinued and the employees on fiber research were transferred to other work. However, the reference material was kept partially current by those interested in the project and who were assigned elsewhere. In 1970, a former employee (Nelson) retired and came back as a volunteer to review literature, make index cards, and accumulate reference material.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: Portion of collection digitized

Collection Number: 66
Collection Name: Galloway, Beverly Thomas, Papers
Earliest Date: 1891
Latest Date: 1933
Linear Feet: 7.75
Collection Description: The Beverly Thomas Galloway Papers consist of biographical information, correspondence, speeches, memoranda, notebooks, photographs, scrapbooks, and published and unpublished articles.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Beverly Thomas Galloway (1863-1938) was appointed as plant pathologist in 1887 for the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The following year he became Chief of the Division of Vegetable Physiology and Pathology. In 1900, he became chief of the Division of Gardens and Grounds, was the leader in planning the consolidation of several divisions into what soon became the Bureau of Plant Industry, and moved into position of Chief of this new bureau. For two years (1913-1914), he served as Assistant Secretary of Agriculture and later returned to research work, particularly investigations of the pathological aspects.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs; Reprints
Digitization Status: Portion of collection digitized

Collection Number: 68
Collection Name: Glendora Products Company Can Label Collection
Earliest Date: 1916
Latest Date: 1956
Linear Feet: 4
Collection Description: The Glendora Products Company Can Label Collection contains mint-condition labels of various products from the company's warehouse and also includes patent and trademark documents and correspondence relating to them.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: The Glendora Products Company engaged in packing fruits and vegetables. Labels were removed from the Glendora warehouse vault in Warren, Pennsylvania.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 74
Collection Name: Entomology Lantern Slide Collection
Earliest Date: 1908
Latest Date: 1939
Linear Feet: 17
Collection Description: Entomology Lantern Slide Collection consists of glass positives of insects, a lantern slide projector, and unknown equipment.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 97
Collection Name: Coles, Rupert, Papers: American Poultry Historical Society Papers
Collection Group: Poultry Science Collections
Earliest Date: 1977
Latest Date: 1997
Linear Feet: 1
Collection Description: The Rupert Coles Papers consist of Christmas cards created from Coles's original artwork.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Rupert Coles was the Chief Poultry Advisory Officer, Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, in Great Britain (dates unknown). Coles served as the President of the World Poultry Science Association (WPSA) circa 1956-1957 (the best estimate is that he served from 1954-1958, corresponding to the period of time between the World Poultry Congresses, which took place every four years). He was the acting secretary-treasurer of the WPSA from 1968-1970 and became secretary in 1970. He held that position until at least 1982. Coles wrote a book entitled: Development of the Poultry Industry in England and Wales 1945-1959. [Poultry World Limited, London, 1960] Coles had a B.A., M.S. in economics, M.S. In Agriculture, and Ph.D.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 101
Collection Name: Lucas, Alfred Martin, Papers: American Poultry Historical Society Papers
Collection Group: Poultry Science Collections
Earliest Date: 1866
Latest Date: 1962
Linear Feet: 27
Collection Description: The Alfred Martin Lucas (b. 1900) Papers contain original artwork, color swatches, galley proofs, and other materials related to the Atlas of Avian Hematology, 1961. Collection contains detailed notes on avian anatomy, unidentified printers’ plates, three German language publications, a list of poultry theses presented for advanced degrees in the United States between 1896 and 1950, and a copy of the proceedings from Avian Leukosis Conference of 1962.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 102
Collection Name: McFarland, J. Horace, Papers
Earliest Date: 1923
Latest Date: 1975
Linear Feet: 432
Collection Description: The J. Horace McFarland Papers relate to Mount Pleasant Press; the majority of the collection includes glass negatives, acetate negatives, transparencies, slides, photographs, and watercolors of plants (ornamental and vegetables). There are plant-breeding records which include rose cards or letter-sized forms consisting of a black and white photograph of a variety of a rose and accompanying scientific documentation. Also included are original artwork; catalogs produced by the company; photographs of the office; and a map of McFarland’s residence.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: McFarland (1859-1948), conservationist, master printer, and horticulturist, was well known for his books and photographs of roses. In 1878, McFarland started his own printing business, Mount Pleasant Press, which specialized in horticultural printing and was the first to use color photographs in its publications. In fact, many images were taken at McFarland's famous trial gardens on the grounds of his residence, Breeze Hill.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Audiovisuals; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 105
Collection Name: Meler, Charles J., Papers: American Poultry Historical Society Papers
Collection Group: Poultry Science Collections
Earliest Date: 1959
Latest Date: 1965
Linear Feet: 2.25
Collection Description: The Charles J. Meler Papers include correspondence, egg marketing orders, and egg promotion material along with contracts for egg producers and started pullet growers in Illinois and neighboring states; publications of the American Poultry and Hatchery Federation and the Illinois Poultry Industry Council, and miscellaneous brochures from nationally known commercial poultry breeding organizations and equipment manufacturers.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Charles J. Meler of Nashville, Illinois, was a hatcheryman, member of the Illinois Poultry Industry Council, and past president of the American Poultry and Hatchery Federation.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 106
Collection Name: Millar, Richard I., Papers: American Poultry Historical Society Papers
Collection Group: Poultry Science Collections
Earliest Date: 1896
Latest Date: 1991
Linear Feet: 7.5
Collection Description: The Richard I. Millar Papers include reprints, bulletins and pamphlets; and clippings from trade journals, newspapers, and commercial brochures. Material addresses poultry management practices and equipment.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Millar used this poultry material in his teaching and research.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Reprints
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 107
Collection Name: Mohler, John R., Papers
Earliest Date: 1924
Latest Date: 1943
Linear Feet: 2.5
Collection Description: The John R. Mohler Papers consist of photographs, Canadian exhibits, U.S. exhibits, a manuscript entitled "The Outbreak of Foot and Mouth Diseases in California," a log book, and certificates.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: John R. Mohler (1875-1952) began working at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) in 1897 as an assistant inspector for the Bureau of Animal Industry. He was promoted to the position of Chief of the Pathological Division in 1902, and became the Chief of the Bureau in 1917, a position he held until his retirement in 1943. Mohler’s work focused on animal diseases, in particular those that affected cattle, birds, sheep, horses, and hogs. He authored or co-authored numerous bulletins, circulars, and articles on these topics. In 1933 Mohler was elected vice president of the International Veterinary Congress and in 1939 received the 12th International Veterinary Congress Prize in recognition of his distinguished achievements in veterinary service in the United States and foreign countries. This is the highest honor the veterinary profession bestows.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 112
Collection Name: National School Lunch Week Collection
Earliest Date: 1956
Latest Date: 1966
Bulk Dates: 1956-1966
Linear Feet: 6
Collection Description: The National School Lunch Week Collection consists of four scrapbooks commemorating National School Lunch Week in 1956 (10th Anniversary Year), 1964, 1965, and 1966 (20th Anniversary Year). The format of materials in the scrapbooks include correspondence, clippings, report excerpts, press releases, photographs, articles, newsletters, artwork, audio scripts, and ephemera. USDA Consumer and Marketing Service and American School Food Service Association (ASFSA) information is represented as well.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: National School Lunch Week was established in 1962. The concept of this week, which begins on the second Sunday in October, is to celebrate and promote the National School Lunch program. According to the American School Food Service Association (ASFSA), this week "is designed to help raise awareness of and garner support for the role that nutrition programs play in the lives of America’s children." Each year, the President of the United States issues a proclamation that calls on the people to observe National School Lunch Week. The program itself began in 1946, the result of a call for the standardization of the appropriations given by Congress to states to administer school local school lunch programs. Prior to 1946 such programs were run on a year-to-year basis, and expansion was quite slow. The congressional legislation provided schools with standards of nutrition for school lunches, as well as federal financial aid to purchase proper food and equipment.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Posters; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 120
Collection Name: Gilbert, Henry G., Nursery and Seed Trade Catalog Collection
Earliest Date: 1724
Latest Date: 2013
Bulk Dates: 1890-2003
Linear Feet: 1129
Collection Description: The Henry G. Gilbert Nursery and Seed Trade Catalog Collection is a special reference collection of over 150,000 American and foreign catalogs. It was begun in 1904 by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) economic botanist, Percy Leroy Ricker. Its purpose now, as then, is to provide information regarding sources, prices, and descriptions of plant material offered for sale by U.S. nurserymen, growers, and seedsmen and, to a lesser extent, by foreign firms. The collection is now named for its longtime curator, Henry G. Gilbert (1930-1996). There are catalogs from the following countries: Africa, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Burma, Canada, Canary Islands, Ceylon, Chile, China, England, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Holland, Hungary, India, Italy, Ireland, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Palestine, Poland, Russia, Scotland, South America, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United States.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Henry G. Gilbert (1930-1996) was a reference librarian at the National Agricultural Library (NAL), USDA. He worked at NAL for 27 years, beginning his tenure at the South Building in Washington, D.C., just prior to the library’s move to Beltsville, Maryland. In addition to working in reference, Gilbert was NAL’s librarian for the U.S. National Arboretum and the curator of the library’s collection of nursery and seed trade catalogs. Gilbert earned an associate of science degree in horticulture from the State University of New York at Farmingdale, a bachelor of science degree in entomology from the University of Georgia, and a master of library science degree from the Pratt Institute (New York). Prior to becoming a librarian at NAL, Gilbert worked for various agricultural organizations, including a position at the Port of New York as a USDA Plant Quarantine Inspector.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: Portion of collection digitized

Collection Number: 122
Collection Name: USDA Official U.S. Standard for Grades of Wool
Earliest Date: 1926
Latest Date: 1966
Linear Feet: 11.5
Collection Description: USDA Official U.S. Standard for Grades of Wool collection contains wool samples that document the 12 standards of wool established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for the 1920s and the 13 standards for the 1940s. Standards are based on the fineness or diameter of the wool fiber. Samples show the maximum diameter/fineness of fiber for each of the grades. The collection includes includes wool standards for 1926, 1928, 1940, and 1966.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 124
Collection Name: Passmore, Deborah Griscom, Watercolor Collection
Earliest Date: 1911
Latest Date: 1911
Linear Feet: 4
Collection Description: The Deborah Griscom Passmore Watercolor Collection consist of an original manuscript "Flowers in Water Color: Wildflowers of America" by Deborah G. Passmore. There are 61 original, signed Passmore watercolors in this collection, as well as several signed sketches, unsigned works, and two watercolors signed by another artist, Dora Paxon. In the front of the manuscript, there is an anonymous, typescript biography of Passmore which is immediately followed by a brief, handwritten note detailing Passmore's death, and the signature of Carrie Harrison. (Her relationship to Passmore is unknown, but she may have been a botanist in the Bureau of Plant Industry, U.S. Department of Agriculture.) There are several newspaper obituaries pasted onto the end of the typescript, below Carrie Harrison's signature.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Born in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, on July 17, 1840, Deborah Griscom Passmore was educated in a Friends school and studied art under several famous artists including Thomas Moran. She also attended the School of Design and the Academy of Fine Arts in Philadelphia before coming to Washington, D.C., where, in 1892, she took an appointment with the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Division of Pomology. She painted for many exhibits and flowers and fruits in watercolor became her specialty.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 126
Collection Name: Peale, Titian Ramsay, Manuscript
Earliest Date: 1796
Latest Date: 1796
Linear Feet: 0.25
Collection Description: The Titian Ramsay Peale Manuscript is Peale's original manuscript "Drawings of American Insects; Showing Them in Their Several States, Together with Such Minute Insects as Require Investigation by the Microscope," which includes colored plates and drawings.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Son of painter Charles Wilson Peale, Titian Ramsay Peale (1799-1885) was an artist and naturalist.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 134
Collection Name: Poultry Science Department, University of Wisconsin, Cackelator: American Poultry Historical Society Papers
Collection Group: Poultry Science Collections
Linear Feet: 2
Collection Description: The Poultry Science Department, University of Wisconsin, Cackelator is an electronic box. The cackelator was used by Ag-Way Coop representatives as an early on-the-farm "computor" to formulate feed mixtures based on flock production factors such as body weight and egg weight. This briefcase size device was carried to the farm and used by the feed representative and flock-owner to make nutritional determinations to provide the highest net income for the poultryman.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia

Collection Number: 137
Collection Name: Prestele, Wilhelm Heinrich (William Henry), Papers
Earliest Date: 1889
Latest Date: 1890
Bulk Dates: 1889-1890s
Linear Feet: 12
Collection Description: The Wilhelm Heinrich (William Henry) Prestele Papers consist of grape variety watercolors, sketches, tracings, notes, papers, plant specimens, and an album cover.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: In 1887, Wilhelm Heinrich Prestele (1838-1895) was appointed the first artist of the Pomology Division of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Prestele was assigned to create illustrations for a book on native American grapes written by Thomas Volney Munson. Munson was asked to prepare this exhaustive monograph on grapes by the Secretary of Agriculture. As Munson wrote in his 1909 publication titled Foundations of American Grape Culture, "The manuscript for this monograph, and accurate life-size colored plates of all our native grape species, were prepared and delivered but from lack of sufficient appropriation by Congress the work remains unpublished."
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: Portion of collection digitized

Collection Number: 143
Collection Name: Riley, Charles Valentine, Collection
Earliest Date: 1868
Latest Date: 1919
Linear Feet: 12.75
Collection Description: The Charles Valentine Riley Collection consist of letters to Riley, unpublished lectures, notes, photographs, news clippings, reports, reprints, paintings, drawings, sketch books, books, and artifacts. The collection focuses on the history of entomology and the development of biological control of insects injurious to crops, and on Riley’s energetic efforts on its behalf during the latter part of the 19th century.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Charles Valentine Riley (1843-1895) was a visual artist and entomologist in the mid-19th century. Born in England, Riley settled in the United States in 1850. He had grown up studying and sketching insects, and he quickly began to apply his abilities while working for Prairie Farmer, a leading agricultural journal. In 1868 Riley was recommended for and appointed to the post of entomologist for the state of Missouri. In this capacity, he not only became a distinguished entomologist, but he also revolutionized the entire field of entomology. In 1878 Riley became the second Chief Entomologist for the U.S. Department of Agriculture, succeeding Townend Glover. Riley held this position over a period of 17 years, having parted with the USDA briefly from 1880-1881 over a procedural dispute. During the 1880s Riley was also closely involved with the U.S. National Museum (currently the Smithsonian Institution), to whom he donated his collection of over 100,000 insect specimens. He served as an assistant curator for the museum, specializing in insects. Riley worked in both capacities until his death in 1895.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: Portion of collection digitized

Collection Number: 151
Collection Name: Sharpe, Charles Farquharson Stewart, Papers
Earliest Date: 1925
Latest Date: 1991
Bulk Dates: 1925-1949
Linear Feet: 6.75
Collection Description: The Charles Farquharson Stewart Sharpe Papers consist of copies of articles, translations, and publications relating to geomorphology and erosion; correspondence and other records produced in the course of work for the Climatic and Physiographic Division; research notes and draft reports of physiographic studies in which Sharpe was involved; copies of published reports authored by Sharpe; and photographs and lantern slides documenting soil erosion studies.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Charles Farquharson Stewart Sharpe (b. 1907) worked as a soil conservationist in the Climatic and Physiographic Division of the Soil Conservation Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, from 1935-1943.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 159
Collection Name: U.S. Forest Service Smokey Bear Collection
Earliest Date: 1902
Latest Date: 1994
Linear Feet: 119.88
Collection Description: The U.S. Forest Service Smokey Bear Collection consists of audiovisuals, posters, slides, photographs, posters and cartoons, original artwork, and a wide variety of commercial products, some of which are from around the world. In November of 2004, a retired Forest Service employee donated around 22 pieces of memorabilia from the Smokey Sports Collection. One of the Smokey Bear campaigns was to join up with college, minor league, and professional athletes to promote fire prevention awareness. Various memorabilia, such as playing cards, posters, baseball gloves and balls, hockey pucks, batting helmets, activity books, wallets, penants, wrist bands, water bottles, and rally rags, were given away to children at sporting events. In December of 2004, Lew Southard, Branch Chief of Fire Prevention in the Forest Service, donated a 60th Annivesary Smokey Bear Commemorative Doll.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: During World War II, the prevalence of human-caused forest fires and the need for wood compelled the U.S. Forest Service to organize the Cooperative Forest Fire Prevention Campaign. In 1944, as a means of encouraging citizens to participate in fire prevention, the campaign introduced the symbol of a bear, endowed with the evocative name of Smokey. In the spring of 1950, a real cub became a living representation of Smokey Bear when he was saved from a forest fire. The Smokey Bear fire prevention advertising campaign is the best-known character symbol in the world.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Audiovisuals; Posters; Photographs
Digitization Status: Portion of collection digitized

Collection Number: 170
Collection Name: Thom, Charles, Papers
Earliest Date: 1891
Latest Date: 1968
Linear Feet: 10
Collection Description: The Charles Thom Papers range from materials from Thom's college years to biographical memoirs published after his death. The collection includes correspondence, notes, notebooks, essays, lectures, speeches, diaries, and journals; published items including monographs, journal articles, and newspaper clippings; and lantern slides from professional trips. The majority of the collection focuses on soil microbiology, mycology, food spoilage, food poisoning, and penicillin.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Charles Thom (1872-1956) worked in various capacities for the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) for over 40 years. In 1904, he began working for the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, where he remained as mycologist in charge of cheese investigations until 1913. By 1927 he was head of the Division of Soil Microbiology of the Bureau of Chemistry and Soils. After his retirement, he carried out inspections for the War Food Administration. Throughout his career, Thom was involved in important research with two genera of mold: Aspergillus and Penicillium.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 179
Collection Name: USDA Buildings Architectural Drawings Collection
Earliest Date: 1901
Latest Date: 1903
Linear Feet: 1.5
Collection Description: The USDA Buildings Architectural Drawings Collection (ca. 1920) consists of plans of U.S. Department of Agriculture buildings, specifically the administration building, lab buildings, and a view of the National Mall area. There are eight architects’ drawings mounted on pasteboard which were made by the architectural firm Raukin, Kellogg, and Crane, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The buldings were to be located on the north portion of the grounds at that time and in conformity with the plan of the Commission on the Improvement of the Park System.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 184
Collection Name: USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection (Fruit and Nut Watercolors and Wax Models)
Earliest Date: 1888
Latest Date: 1939
Linear Feet: 70
Collection Description: The USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection contains approximately 7,000 watercolor drawings of fruit and nuts created by artists employed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Division of Pomology from 1888 to the1930s. The first artist was William Prestele. Credit information written by each artist on each watercolor includes name of property owner, county, city, and state where specimen was grown. Many of the specimens were grown in Maryland. The collection also includes 85 wax fruit models.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: In 1887 the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Division of Pomology began hiring artists to render illustrations of fruit varieties for lithographic reproduction in USDA articles, reports, and bulletins. Use of color lithography was critically important to enable the farmer to visualize and comprehend the subjects and principles covered in a particular publication.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: Portion of collection digitized

Collection Number: 185
Collection Name: U.S. Forest Service History Collection
Earliest Date: 1890
Latest Date: 1991
Bulk Dates: 1940-1979
Linear Feet: 91.25
Collection Description: The U.S. Forest Service History Collection contains forester field notes, photographs, negatives, slides, films, videos, audio cassettes, albums, manuals, speeches, t-shirts, pins, oral histories, and other files related to U.S. Forest Service history.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: In 1876 Congress passed a bill that established the forest administration in the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Franklin B. Hough was appointed as special agent to report on the condition of the forests and how to preserve them. The results of his study revealed that forests were beneficial to climate, streamflow, and soil and it was necessary to preserve and renew forests. By 1878 the forest administration became the Division of Forestry. The Forest Service as it is known today was largely due to the work of former Chief Gifford Pinchot and his 11 employees who popularized the concept of forest conservation in 1898.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Audiovisuals; Posters; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 190
Collection Name: Riley, Charles Valentine, Printing Blocks
Collection Group: Riley, Charles Valentine
Earliest Date: 1872
Latest Date: 1895
Linear Feet: 55
Collection Description: The Charles Valentine Riley Printing Blocks consist of 1,211 woodcuts, electrotypes (electroplated lead molds of original engravings), and metal casts used to illustrate Riley's publications. Approximately 508 blocks were figures for the 9 Missouri annual reports (1869-1877) produced by Riley when he was Missouri's first state entomologist. Other printing blocks were used in publications such as American Entomologist and American Entomologist and Botanist. Some of the electrotypes are duplicates or cast from woodcuts which are present, but most represent different drawings than the woodcuts.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Riley (1843-1895) was the state entomologist of Missouri (1868-1877), an entomologist for the U.S. Department of Agriculture (1878-1879), and Chief of the Federal Entomological Service (1894-1895).
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 198
Collection Name: USDA Organization for the Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 1914, Broadside
Earliest Date: 1914
Latest Date: 1914
Linear Feet: 2.75
Collection Description: The USDA Organization for the Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 1914, Broadside is titled "United States Department of Agriculture Organization for the Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 1914" and was prepared by N.E. Fealey. The broadside includes budget figures.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 203
Collection Name: U.S. Forest Service Woodsy Owl Collection
Earliest Date: 1974
Latest Date: 1987
Linear Feet: 73
Collection Description: The U.S. Forest Service Woodsy Owl Collection includes films, slides, negatives, videotapes, posters, original artwork, songsheets, bumper stickers, patches, keyrings, campaign materials, costumes, distribution materials, legislation, photograph albums, and other miscellaneous items. Campaign materials consist of publication proposals, drafts, correspondence, newspaper cuttings, news releases, newsletters, magazines, and public service announcement statistics and information.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Woodsy Owl was the U.S. Forest Service’s anti-pollution symbol. Beginning in 1970, the Forest Service promoted Woodsy Owl’s “Give a hoot! Don’t pollute.” campaign against littering and vandalism in national forests.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Audiovisuals; Posters; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 204
Collection Name: World's Poultry Science Association (WPSA) Records
Collection Group: Poultry Science Collections
Earliest Date: 1921
Latest Date: 2004
Linear Feet: 34
Collection Description: The World's Poultry Science Association (WPSA) Records contain materials collected by various members of the organization. Included are correspondence, reports, publications, awards information, ephemera, meeting meetings, and photographs. The majority of the materials correspond with member participation in the world's poultry congresses, European poultry conferences, and other meetings. The earliest material dates from the 1st World's Poultry Congress in 1921.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: The World's Poultry Science Association began with the formation of the International Association of Poultry Instructors in 1912. In 1928 the organization changed its name to the World's Poultry Science Assocation. The 1st World's Poultry Congress was held in 1921 at The Hague, Netherlands. In 1960, the 1st European Poultry Conference was helt at Utrecht, Netherlands. The first national branch of WPSA was established in the United Kingdom in 1947. WPSA continues to be an active international organization with the purpose of advancing knowledge and understanding of all aspects of poultry science and the poultry industry.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: Portion of collection digitized

Collection Number: 206
Collection Name: Sheep skin and wool samples
Earliest Date: 1948
Linear Feet: 1.5
Collection Description: Sheep skins and wool samples. 1948. Wool samples and accompanying black and white photographs of each type of animal, undated.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 209
Collection Name: Society of American Florists (SAF), Records and Book Collection of the
Earliest Date: 1793
Latest Date: 1993
Bulk Dates: 1925-1980
Linear Feet: 62.5
Collection Description: The Records and Book Collection of the Society of American Florists (SAF), 1793-1993, consists of both organizational records and bound volumes. The Records of the SAF, 1894-1993, contain proceedings, minutes, correspondence, memoranda, publications, photographs and scrapbooks from 1900 to 1988. The Book Collection of the SAF consists of over 200 volumes, including monographs and bound serials from 1793 to 1990.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: The Society of American Florists (SAF) was formed in 1884. Its earliest members came from the American Association of Nurserymen, Florists, and Seedsmen. The purpose of the SAF was to have a national organization devoted solely to florists. The organization was open to both horticultural and floral professionals and amateur gardeners. The first convention was held in 1885, and had over 200 members. The International Telegraph Delivery Association (later the Florists Transworld Delivery Association, or FTD) was created within the SAF. The name of the society was expanded in 1897 to the Society of American Florists and Ornamental Horticulturalists, even though the abbreviation SAF is still commonly used. In 1901 the SAF was granted a national charter, signed by President William McKinley. Throughout its history, the SAF has had several interest groups and committees. These groups have included the Florists’ Hail Association (to insure members against losses related to hail), the Florists’ Protective Association (to protect against other financial losses), the Ladies Society of American Florists, and the Youth Education Program. The SAF has also had a role in lobbying corporations and government bodies. Most of these lobbying efforts have been related to the transportation of floral products and orders.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs

Collection Number: 210
Collection Name: Knipling, Edward Fred, Papers: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Collection Group: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Earliest Date: 1906
Latest Date: 2003
Bulk Dates: 1930-1990
Linear Feet: 59
Collection Description: The Edward Fred Knipling Papers are part of the larger Screwworm Eradication Program Records. This collection covers all of the areas of entomology researched by Knipling during his career with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), including his early research on the screwworm and the eradication efforts in Curacao, Netherlands Antilles, and the Southeast United States in the 1950s. His research included parasite control methods and work on the boll weevil, fruit fly, tsetse fly, European corn borer, and various species of ticks and moths. In addition, the collection reflects Knipling’s continued activity in entomology after his 1973 retirement from the USDA. Materials included are correspondence, publications, manuscripts, reports, photographs, research data, notes, speeches, awards, artifacts, and biographical data.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Edward Fred Knipling (1909-2000) was a world-famous entomologist and theorist. His contributions featured the parasitoid augmentation technique, insect control methods involving the medication of the hosts, and various models of total insect population management. He was best known, however, for the sterile insect technique (SIT), which was employed in screwworm eradication efforts in Curacao, Netherlands Antilles, Florida, Texas, Mexico, and parts of Central America. Knipling studied entomology at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (now Texas A&M University) and Iowa State College (now University), and worked for the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) from 1930-1973; Knipling continued to serve as a collaborator with the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) at the USDA and remained active in the field of entomology until 2000.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: Portion of collection digitized

Collection Number: 211
Collection Name: Southwestern United States and Mexico Collection: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Collection Group: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Earliest Date: 1922
Latest Date: 2004
Bulk Dates: 1960-1990
Linear Feet: 58
Collection Description: The Southwestern United States and Mexico Collection: Screwworm Eradication Program Records contain research and production records related to sterile fly production plants in Mission, Texas, and Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, Mexico. Included in the records are reports, research data, correspondence, fly production and release records, manuscripts, manuals and regulations, publications, notes, case reports, photographs, public information materials, and artifacts. The predominant language is English, though there are materials in Spanish as well. Materials originally located in this collection relating to Central America, the Caribbean, and North Africa have been removed.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: These materials document agricultural programs to eliminate the New World screwworm from the North American continent. A flesh-eating pest of warm-blooded animals, the screwworm was brought under control using the Sterile Insect Technique, which emphasizes biological control methods. The technique uses large numbers of reared sterile flies to overwhelm and eliminate the wild fertile population through interbreeding. These records focus on research activities which supported eradication in the United States and Mexico. Much of the collection relates to field research, the development of effective fly strains for mass rearing and distribution, and information about the release of sterile flies.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Maps; Photographs
Digitization Status: Portion of collection digitized

Collection Number: 214
Collection Name: Promotional Materials: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Collection Group: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Earliest Date: 1976
Latest Date: 2003
Linear Feet: 12
Collection Description: Promotional Materials: Screwworm Eradication Program Records include items relating to screwworm eradication programs in the U.S. Southwest, Mexico, Central America, and North Africa. There are public information and promotional materials such as baseball caps, mugs, calendars, key rings and bumper stickers, publications and brochures, photographs, fly case collection reports, 16-millimeter films, and fly distribution artifacts.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: These promotional materials collected by Paul T. "Tommy" Stanford (b. 1955), document agricultural programs to eliminate the New World screwworm from the North American continent. Stanford has been involved in aspects of screwworm eradication programs since the 1980s and is Facilities and Administrative Manager for the Kika de la Garza Subtropical Agricultural Research Center in Weslaco, Texas. He also provides administrative support to the Agricultural Research Service Screwworm Research teams located in Mexico and Panama.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: Portion of collection digitized

Collection Number: 217
Collection Name: Agricultural Artifacts Collection
Linear Feet: 19.25
Collection Description: The Agricultural Artifacts Collection consists of a variety of small to medium-sized artifacts relating to agriculture. There are hand scythes from China, Pakistan, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Thailand, and the United States; a cocoa knife from Jamaica; a long scythe blade; and various small metal implements. Other categories of artifacts include tools, models, and research and laboratory devices. Examples include an animal trap, an insect trap, a telescope, a liquid nitrogen carrier, a magnifying eye piece, and models of farmers hoeing and plowing. No specific dates are known. Alice H. Schilberg donated one stereoscope plus one colored image titled "Grounds from the Agricultural Department, Washington, DC." J. F. Harris publishers, Washington, D.C. A plant exploration bag was carried by for U.S. National Arboretum director John L. Creech. The tan bag has a loose top with grommets and rope so it can be pulled shut. There are leather straps for adjusting to a satchel. Creech marked the locations he traveled using marker on the outside of the bag. His journeys include: Japan (1956, 57, and 61), Ethiopa (1958), Hong Kong (1961), India (1962), Nepal (1962), Mexico (1960), USSR (1963), Sikkim (1964), Taiwan (1967), and Siberia (1972).
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 223
Collection Name: U.S. National Animal Parasite Collection Records
Earliest Date: 1886
Latest Date: 1987
Linear Feet: 188.25
Collection Description: The U.S. National Animal Parasite Collection Records contain photographs, line drawings, lantern slides, and negatives of animal parasites. Many of the drawings were used as illustrations for U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) publications. There are copies of articles, reprints, and several manuscripts, materials on the history of animal parasitology in USDA, including biographical information, photographs, and documents prepared for the centennial anniversary of the Bureau of Animal Industry. There is a chart created by parasitologist Cooper Curtis which he used in a presentation before the Biological Society of Washington in 1934.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: In 1884, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) established the Bureau of Animal Industry. In 1891, the bureau was divided into four sections; parasite research was assigned to the "Zoological Laboratory" of the Division of Animal Pathology. Charles Wardell Stiles started the Parasite Collection and the Index-Catalogue of Medical Veterinary Zoology with his assistant, Albert Hassall. When the USDA eliminated its system of bureaus in 1953, the parasitology lab of the Zoological Division of the Bureau of Animal Industry became the Beltsville Parasitological Laboratory of the Animal Disease and Parasitic Research Branch of the Agricultural Research Service. By the end of the 1960s, the name changed to the National Animal Parasite Laboratory. Since 1972, this unit has been known as the Animal Parasitology Institute.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 224
Collection Name: USDA Leather and Paper Laboratory Records
Earliest Date: 1904
Latest Date: 1986
Linear Feet: 8.75
Collection Description: The USDA Leather and Paper Laboratory Records include notebooks of specimen records, black and white photographs of animal and fish hides and skins, and publications.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: On July 1, 1904, the Secretary of Agriculture established a laboratory in the Bureau of Chemistry charged with the investigation of problems of a chemical and chemical-technical nature relating to the paper and leather industries. The need for the laboratory was based on an increased demand for information on tanning materials and the study of leathers in regard to composition, strength, appearance, and durability.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 231
Collection Name: American Poultry Historical Society Artifact Collection: American Poultry Historical Society Papers
Collection Group: Poultry Science Collections
Linear Feet: 8.5
Collection Description: The American Poultry Historical Society Artifact Collection includes a marble rooster, an electronic egg, model poultry houses, an "Utgaard Hatchery" box, and poultry feed burlap sacks.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 235
Collection Name: USDA Bureau of Entomology and Plant Quarantine Collection
Earliest Date: 1940
Latest Date: 1940
Linear Feet: 2.5
Collection Description: [19--]. The USDA Bureau of Entomology and Plant Quarantine Collection contains materials related to the Japanese Beetle, Mountain Pine Beetle, and Dutch Elm Disease. There are black and white photographs, bark samples, insect samples, and framed examples of foliage damage from the insects. Text accompanies the samples. From 1940-1997, the materials were housed at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, Illinois, and were used for an exhibit.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: The U.S. Department of Agriculture Bureau of Entomology and Plant Quarantine was established in 1934. In 1942, it became part of the Agricultural Research Administration. The purpose of the bureau was to study and control insects in cooperation with the states to prevent plant diseases.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 236
Collection Name: Plitt, Charles C., Collection
Earliest Date: 1897
Latest Date: 1994
Linear Feet: 10.25
Collection Description: The Charles C. Plitt Collection consists of a series of journals resulting from weekly botany field trips, which Plitt referred to as “tramps,” ranging in date from about 1898-1922. Plitt led these tramps through many areas around Baltimore; such as Loch Raven, Glen Burnie, Towson, Curtis Bay, and Ellicott City. The collection also includes biographical data, correspondence, photographs, and a book.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: A lifelong Marylander, Charles C. Plitt (1869-1933) was both a professor of botany and an international authority on lichens. In 1891, he received a degree in pharmacy from the old Maryland College of Pharmacy. In 1920, he was appointed full professor of botany and pharmacognosy at the School of Pharmacy of the University of Maryland. In 1921, Plitt was awarded an honorary doctor of science degree for his meritorious work in botany by the International Academy of Sciences.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs

Collection Number: 242
Collection Name: USDA Bureau of Plant Industry Records
Earliest Date: 1920
Latest Date: 1959
Bulk Dates: 1920-1950
Linear Feet: 6
Collection Description: The USDA Bureau of Plant Industry Records consist of a scrapbook detailing the activities of the Bureau of Plant Industry from the 1920s to the early 1950s. Materials are black and white photographs (some tinted) and negatives of Bureau of Plant Industry employees including botanist Emsweller, research stations and gardens around the United States and crops. Subjects of the photographs include staff, buildings, offices, laboratories, fields, and orchards. There are also research station maps and plans, clippings, and correspondence. Most of the material dates from the 1930s through the 1940s. Many items are unidentified or missing. There are also numerous loose materials inserted in the scrapbook.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: The Bureau of Plant Industry (BPI) formed in 1901 as a major consolidation of several independent units that all had in common the research of plant and crop science. The BPI had a major focus on doing its experimentation on farms. For its first forty years, the main research center for the BPI was the Arlington (Virginia) Experimental Farm. In addition, the bureau investigated problems related to crop pests, and it also provided instruction programs for farmers around the country. Other major areas of research included seeds, plant disease and pathology, and breeding. The BPI had come together as a collection of research divisions, and continued to maintain and expand these. There were divisions for such areas as botany, fiber plants, plant exploration and introduction, tobacco, cereal crops, and mycology. The BPI was placed under the Agricultural Research Administration in 1942, and was merged with the engineering research functions of the Bureau of Agricultural Chemistry and Engineering to form the Bureau of Plant Industry, Soils, and Agricultural Engineering (BPISAE). The BPISAE was abolished in 1953 with the reorganization of the USDA. In 1972, the functions that had once belonged to the BPI were transferred to the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS).
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 246
Collection Name: Leidenfrost, Nancy Boyd, Papers
Earliest Date: 1965
Latest Date: 2003
Linear Feet: 13.25
Collection Description: The Nancy B. Leidenfrost Papers consist of literature from the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program, including references and publications associated with policies, development, administration, and evaluation. In addition, there are papers related to projects Leidenfrost initiated and coordinated, books she edited, and papers she authored in support of action on food security public issues, education, and the critical issue of poverty and international development for families. There are 500 black and white photographs relating to the Home Economics Extension Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), and the University of Maryland, c. 1900-1970. Most of the photographs are of the Extension Service's home demonstrations in the United States and abroad. Also included are materials related to principles of design, such as a "good taste" quiz and a "Good and Bad Design" photograph book.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Nancy B. Leidenfrost was a national program leader for the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program, Extension Service, USDA from 1969-89, and a national program leader for Hunger and Undernutrition Extension Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), from 1989-1994.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 249
Collection Name: USDA Insecticide Division Notebooks on White Arsenic
Earliest Date: 1922
Latest Date: 1946
Linear Feet: 2.5
Collection Description: The USDA Insecticide Division Notebooks on White Arsenic are notebooks of scientists who worked on white arsenic research in the Insecticide Division, Bureau of Chemistry and Soils. Names on notebooks include F.E. Dearborn, Charles Meldrum Smith, Ole Anker Nelson, Lloyd E. Smith, J.W. Barnes, Cecil Robert Gross, J. Weisser, Carroll Clayton Cassil, E.H. Hamilton, Robert K. Preston, Robert A. Hayes, N. Green, Houston Vernon Claborn, and W.H. Tonkin.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: USDA research on insecticides began in 1910 with the Insecticide and Fungicide Board of the Bureau of Chemistry. In 1927 the Bureau of Chemistry merged with the Bureau of Soils and the soil-related divisions of the Bureau of Plant Industry to form the Bureau of Chemistry and Soils. Research on insecticides continued under the broad research subject group "Chemical and Technological Research." In 1934 the Insecticide Division of the Bureau of Chemistry and Soils was transferred to the Bureau of Entomology and Plant Quarantine. The main research goal of the Insecticide Division was to find and regulate chemical solutions suitable for the control of insect pests, especially those affecting crops and other plants.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 250
Collection Name: Drechsler, Charles, Papers
Earliest Date: 1927
Latest Date: 1956
Bulk Dates: 1954-56
Linear Feet: 15
Collection Description: The Charles Drechsler Papers consist of the figures or illustrations for two articles in the Journal of Botany in 1954 and 1956: Two Species of Conidiobolus with Minutely Ridges Zygospores and Two New Species of Conidiobolus, notes and pencil drawings for an unpublished article on Helminthosporium spp., a few letters, and specimens of cereal crops with plant diseases.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Charles Drechsler (1892-1986), a world authority on fungi, spent 45 years as a plant pathologist and mycologist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. While in the position of Mycologist, Horticultural Crops Research Branch, Agricultural Research Service, Drechsler published two articles in the Journal of Botany in 1954 and 1956, the illustrations for which are included in the collection.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 251
Collection Name: Terrill, Clair Elman, Collection
Earliest Date: 1912
Latest Date: 1978
Bulk Dates: 1930s-60s
Linear Feet: 66
Collection Description: The Clair Elman Terrill Collection contains proofs and photographs for the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) bulletins and circulars, sheep and goat registry and breeding records, a card catalog of rabbit publications, and black and white photographs of rabbits and related subjects. There are papers related to the U.S. Rabbit Experiment Station in Fontana, California, and the U.S. Fur Experiment Station in Ithaca, New York. Also included are photographs, glass and acetate negatives, equipment, and wool samples used in Hardy's work for the U.S. Animal Husbandry Experiment Station (part of the USDA Division of Animal Husbandry) and his Thin Cross-Section Device. There are records of the Sheep and Fur Animal Research Branch, Animal Husbandry Division, Agricultural Research Service. Additionally, the collection contains over 200 wool samples from 1950-1960 labeled with sheep identification number, location, and date. Samples were taken from Beltsville, Maryland, and other locations within the United States.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Clair Elman Terrill (1910-2001), a worldwide leader in sheep production research, was the chief of USDA’s Sheep and Fur Animal Research Branch, Animal Husbandry Division, Agricultural Research Service, from 1955-1972. He developed a three-pronged strategy for increasing efficiency of meat production from sheep without increasing feed demands: genetically increase the lamb crop, remove low-producing adults at an early age, and reduce lamb mortality.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 258
Collection Name: Royal C. Steadman Watercolor Collection
Earliest Date: 1923
Latest Date: 1928
Linear Feet: 3
Collection Description: The Royal C. Steadman Watercolor Collection consists of 12 watercolors of sweet potatoes and 4 watercolors of flowers. The sweet potato watercolors were painted by Steadman from 1923-25; the watercolors are 17 4/8" x 13 7/8" on cardboard 22" x 16 3/4". Specific flower information is as follows: daffodil "Mod de Graaff", specimen no. 104840, dated 3-5-1924; iris "David Teniers, specimen no. 104854, dated 3-11-1924 tulip "Baron de la Taunaye:, specimen no. an0006 (an =assigned number), dated 3-27-1924; iris "Freya", specimen no. 110120, dated 5-9-1928.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Royal Charles Steadman was born on July 23, 1875, in Portland, Maine. Among his educational credits, Steadman listed general art studies at the School of Drawing and Painting of the Museum of Fine Arts and at the Cowles Art School, both of which were located in Boston, Massachusetts. At the Rhode Island School of Design in Providence, Rhode Island, he studied jewelry design. In 1915, Steadman began his career with USDA as a pomological artist for the Bureau of Plant Industry. Using as models the live specimens sent to USDA by farmers, growers, and plant explorers, Steadman produced watercolors of fruits, vegetables, and flowers. On occasion, he also created black and white and pen and ink drawings. In addition, he constructed wax models of fruits and vegetables. He also painted watercolors of fruits which had been stored at cool temperatures, showing the effects of freezing and cold storage on plant tissues. Certainly, Steadman was a versatile artist. Prior to his employment with USDA, he was the head jewelry designer for a commercial firm. He had also designed stage scenery and served as an instructor at the Rhode Island School of Design. While employed by USDA, Steadman pursued other artistic endeavors in his spare time. For Amanda Newton, he painted a portrait of her grandfather, Isaac Newton, a former commissioner of agriculture. He also created paintings of historical scenes. And, he submitted several designs for postage stamps to the postmaster general. In 1920, Steadman was promoted to botanical artist. And, he remained with USDA until his retirement in 1941.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 262
Collection Name: Wendelin, Rudolph, Collection of Smokey Bear Paintings
Earliest Date: 1977
Latest Date: 1996
Bulk Dates: 1977-96
Linear Feet: 12
Collection Description: The Rudolph Wendelin Collection of Smokey Bear Paintings is composed of 19 oil, acrylic, and/or watercolor paintings ranging in size from 18"x24" to 24"x26."
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Rudolph Wendelin (1910-2000), a sculptor, painter, and illustrator, worked for the U.S. Forest Service from 1933 until his retirement in 1973. Although he was not the creator of Smokey Bear, Wendelin helped establish the first campaign and coordinate the art material. During his career, he made significant developments toward humanizing the Smokey image with the addition of blue jeans, a forest ranger hat, and a shovel, as well as softening the lines of Smokey's face, thus contributing to the bear's success as one of the most recognizable figures in American culture. He also made the first animated television drawings of Smokey, which synchronized voice with the movements of mouth. By retirement, Wendelin had designed six postage stamps and received many honors. After his retirement, he continued to produce images of Smokey Bear for the Advertising Council and other outlets, including these 19 oil paintings, many of which served as the original artwork for calendars.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: Entire collection digitized

Collection Number: 266
Collection Name: Alfred H. Baumhover Papers: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Collection Group: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Earliest Date: 1949
Latest Date: 1997
Bulk Dates: 1950-1970
Linear Feet: 17
Collection Description: The Alfred H. Baumhover: Screwworm Eradication Program Records include reports, correspondence, publications, public information materials, photographs, awards, notes, and artifacts.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Alfred H. Baumhover (b. 1921) was integral to the screwworm eradication program in its early stages and continued to advise the program for many years. Baumhover, an entomologist for the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), is best known for his contributions to the screwworm eradication programs of the 1950s and 1960s. He began his career in 1949 in the USDA Grasshopper Control Division and worked with Raymond Bushland in Texas on various farm pests. Bushland and Edward F. Knipling were preparing to begin field experimentation on the sterile insect technique. Baumhover became the lead field agent of these experiments, which primarily targeted the screwworm. In 1954 he led the experiment in Curacao that eradicated screwworms from the island. For his efforts, he was conferred knighthood by Queen Juliana of the Netherlands. Baumhover also worked on the eradication programs in the Southeast and Southwest United States. Although he continued to advise the screwworm program throughout his career, Baumhover worked primarily with tobacco insect research from 1963 until his retirement.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: Portion of collection digitized

Collection Number: 269
Collection Name: USDA Plan Exchange Records
Earliest Date: 1933
Latest Date: 1988
Linear Feet: 1.25
Collection Description: The USDA Plan Exchange Records consist of plans for agricultural structures and low-cost housing and was the result of the collective work of plan exchange engineers at land-grant universities. Each plan has a date and number.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) supported the development of farm building plans beginning in 1915. The Plan Exchange was formed in 1930 to maximize the use and sharing of building plans. Plans were housed in various offices of the research arm of the USDA. In 1979 management and financial responsibility was transferred to the USDA Extension Service. In 1982 the USDA Extension Service invited state extension services to bid on a contract to provide Plan Exchange headquarters services. The University of Maryland Cooperative Extension Service won the contract and provided the service until 1988. As of 1988, the program was no longer funded by the USDA Extension Service.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 293
Collection Name: U.S. Forest Service Uniform
Earliest Date: 1960
Latest Date: 1967
Linear Feet: 1
Collection Description: The U.S. Forest Service Uniform is a uniform jacket from the 1960s. It belonged to Donald K. Morriss, former Head of Timber Inventory in the Washington Office, who retired in 1967 and moved to Port Charlotte, Florida. The uniform was given to the Washington Office History Section on May 4, 1982, by Robert E. Gillespie, Assistant Director of Timber Management (Silviculture), upon his retirement. From 1967-1982, the uniform hung in a closet in Timber Management. The uniform was transferred to the National Agricultural Library in the 1980s.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: In 1876 Congress passed a bill that established the forest administration in the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Franklin B. Hough was appointed as special agent to report on the condition of the forests and how to preserve them. The results of his study revealed that forests were beneficial to climate, streamflow, and soil and it was necessary to preserve and renew forests. By 1878 the forest administration became the Division of Forestry. The Forest Service as it is known today was largely due to the work of former chief Gifford Pinchot and his eleven employees who popularized the concept of forest conservation in 1898.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 296
Collection Name: Poultry Scrapbooks
Collection Group: Poultry Science Collections
Earliest Date: 1928
Latest Date: 1945
Bulk Dates: 1940-1945
Linear Feet: 1.5
Collection Description: The Poultry Scrapbooks consist of four scrapbooks about people in the poultry industry, which contain primarily newspaper clippings but also include newsletters, letters, wedding and birth announcements, photographs, and obituaries. In some instances, entire sections of newspapers are simply folded into the scrapbooks.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: The collection appears to have been the property of Thomas Burr Charles, who was the head of the Department of Poultry Husbandry at the University of New Hampshire, Durham, until at least 1945.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 301
Collection Name: U.S. Forest Service Lassie Collection
Earliest Date: 1960
Latest Date: 1969
Linear Feet: 1.75
Collection Description: The U.S. Forest Service Lassie Collection contains promotional material featuring Lassie and Forest Ranger Corey Stuart and includes children's books, comic books, games, litter bag, stereo pictures, and photographs.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: In the early 1960s, members of the U.S. Forest Service met with executives of the popular "Lassie" television series to discuss ways in which conservation could be applied to the story ideas for the show. By 1964, the Wrather Corporation changed the cast of the show by removing Lassie from her television family and placing her with Forest Ranger Corey Stuart, played by Bob Bray. Plots of the show began to emphasize wildlife management, forest and wildlife research, and wilderness management. Filmed on national rangeland, the "Lassie" episodes were produced with the cooperation of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 310
Collection Name: Severn Run's Cazador (Caz), Screwworm Detection Dog, Collection: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Collection Group: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Earliest Date: 1994
Latest Date: 2000
Bulk Dates: 2000
Linear Feet: 1
Collection Description: The Severn Run's Cazador (Caz), Screwworm Detection Dog: Screwworm Eradication Program Records includes photographs, correspondence, Caz's working gear, a short biography by John Welch, and a wooden box containing Caz's remains.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: The materials relate to Severn Run's Cazador (Caz), the screwworm detection dog. Cazador was an American Kennel Club-registered German wire-haired pointer who served as a detector dog with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Agricultural Research Service Screwworm Research Unit from 1988 until Caz's death in 2000. USDA scientist John B. Welch was Cazador's trainer and acquired him through the U.S. Customs Service’s Detector Dog training facility in Front Royal, Virginia.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 332
Collection Name: Swab, Joseph, Publication Collection
Earliest Date: 1950
Latest Date: 1998
Bulk Dates: 1987-1998
Linear Feet: 12.5
Collection Description: The Joseph Swab Publication collection contains bibliographies, pamphlets, newsletters, and forms whose layouts were designed by Swab, primarily from 1970-1998. The collection also contains a select number of older materials not designed by Swab.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 333
Collection Name: The United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, 50th Anniversary , 1953-2004
Earliest Date: 1947
Latest Date: 2004
Bulk Dates: 2000- 2004
Linear Feet: 4.5
Collection Description: The United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, 50th Anniversary Time Capsule materials in this collection were donated from ARS offices across the nation and Puerto Rico. The materials capture the work, progress, and inventions of ARS over the last 50 years. The donations were various. Types of items included in the capsule are posters, photographs, ephemera, awards, computer software, brochures, stuffed animals, training items, paperweights, miniatures of inventions, buttons, audio tapes, key chains, articles, bookmarks, pens, clothing, and food replicas. In January 2005, a DVD and VHS copy of the Time Capsule program were added to the collection. There is no sound on any of the recordings.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: As ARS closed out their 50th anniversary year on November 2, 2004 they sealed the time capsule that ARS employees helped to build. Each office, unit, or location was encouraged to send in an item that defined what they contributed to the overall ARS mission. ARS employees were encouraged to donate materials of significant accomplishment and something that characterized their place in history. All items were to be sent to Susan Fugate, Head, Special Collections, National Agricultural Library. The Special Collections staff entered items into a database and housed the materials in acid-free boxes. The donation period was actually extended until December 31, 2004.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Audiovisuals; Posters; Photographs

Collection Number: 334
Collection Name: USDA Bureau of Human Nutrition and Home Economics Records
Earliest Date: 1921
Latest Date: 1972
Bulk Dates: 1950-1970
Linear Feet: 178
Collection Description: The USDA Bureau of Human Nutrition and Home Economics Records contain a history of the bureau; organizational charts; photographs of employees, nutrition experiments, equipment, exhibits, and food; a scrapbook of the 25th anniversary of the bureau (1923-1948); publicity information including posters, and lab notebooks. There is also a reprint collection of 24,000 publications and a card index.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: In 1915, the Office of Home Economics was established within the States Relations Service and in 1922, Secretary Henry A. Wallace announced his plans to expand the scope of the office and to establish a bureau under the leadership of a woman. In 1923, the Bureau of Home Economics was established with Louise Stanley as its chief. During the Great Depression, Stanley initiated studies of American diets and had researchers focus on areas of the nation which were most affected by drought and high unemployment. The study results provided basis for determining food products needed for an adequate diet and for planning relief programs using nutritious surplus products. During the period between the two World Wars, USDA concentrated its research in three primary avenues: improving the quantity and quality of agricultural production, finding new uses for agricultural products, and improving and conserving soil. For the National Nutrition Conference held in 1941, the Bureau of Home Economics supplied data showing that an appalling number of families in the US had been living on inadequate diets. Following the recommendations of the conference, USDA launched a national campaign to improve American diets. In this campaign, the nutritive values of food established by the Bureau of Home Economics became an important consideration in the development of goals for agricultural production during the war years.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Posters; Photographs; Reprints
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 338
Collection Name: Wyss, John, Papers: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Collection Group: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Earliest Date: 1976
Latest Date: 2003
Bulk Dates: 1990s
Linear Feet: 19
Collection Description: The John Wyss Papers: Screwworm Eradication Program Records contain office files, reports, meeting files, brochures, newsletters, photographs and slides, blueprints, floppy disks and CD-ROMs, promotional materials, and publications related to the screwworm eradication effort in Mexico and Central America. The materials include plans for Screwworm Rearing Facility in Pacora, Panama.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: John Wyss worked as a screwworm coordinator in Mexico and Central America.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 342
Collection Name: Alexander, Lyle Thomas, Papers
Earliest Date: 1932
Latest Date: 2004
Linear Feet: 4
Collection Description: The Lyle Thomas Alexander Papers contain biographical documents, letters, photographs, awards, medals, publications, journal transcript of West Africa and Belgian Congo, maps, and clippings related to his career as a soil chemist for USDA Soil Conservation Service.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Lyle T. Alexander (1905-1983) worked for USDA for over 40 years as a soil chemist. After graduating from the University of Arkansas with a chemistry degree in 1928, he began working at USDA as a soil scientist in the Soil Conservation Service. He earned a Ph.D. in physical chemistry at the University of Maryland in 1935. During his career with USDA, Alexander developed a specialty in tropical soils. He became an expert in the radioactive fallout content of soils and agriculture, thereby traveling extensively to Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific area, the Sahara area of Africa, Europe, and the Near East. He retired in 1968 as chief of the Soil Survey Laboratories, Soil Conservation Service. After retirement, he went to work as a consultant for Resources for the Future, in Washington, D.C. He collaborated with Marion Clawson and Hans Landsberg on the topic of desalination of seawater. During his career with the USDA, he authored approximately 70 papers in soil science in such publications as the USDA's technical bulletins and its yearbooks (1938-1957), and the Proceedings of the Soil Science of America. Together with Thomas M. Shaw, he held a patent in the use of dielectric constant measurements to detect ice formations.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 343
Collection Name: Ewing, R., and LeNeil, R., Poultry Anatomy Drawings
Collection Group: Poultry Science Collections
Linear Feet: 30
Collection Description: The R. Ewing and R. LeNeil Poultry Anatomy Drawings materials consist of approximately 600 anatomical drawings of poultry used in publications. There are 10 oversized boxes and an inventory of the collection is on CD.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 348
Collection Name: Artifacts: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Collection Group: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Linear Feet: 4
Collection Description: Artifacts: Screwworm Eradication Program Records contain materials used in various screwworm eradication program areas. Materials include screwworm fly dispersal boxes, a collection tube, a collection cup and holders, and signs.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 349
Collection Name: Chester N. Husman Awards: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Collection Group: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Earliest Date: 1947
Latest Date: 1991
Linear Feet: 1.25
Collection Description: Chester N. Husman Awards: Screwworm Eradication Program Records contains awards given to Chester N. Husman and Agricultural Research Service (ARS) for their efforts in the screwworm eradication programs. Granting organizations include the U.S. War Department, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and the Mexican government.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: Chester N. Husman was an engineer for the USDA and assisted on the screwworm efforts. He participated in research efforts in Florida, assisting with the rearing process and construction of buildings. At Sebring, Florida, Husman developed a system for collecting screwworm larvae which involved transporting larvae in a water tray; this decreased mortality rates and rates at which the larvae escaped their holding trays. In the 1970s he designed irradiators that were used to sterilize the screwworms, often referred to as the Husman irradiator.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 355
Collection Name: International Collection: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Collection Group: Screwworm Eradication Program Records
Earliest Date: 1954
Latest Date: 2002
Bulk Dates: 1976-2000
Linear Feet: 4.5
Collection Description: This collection documents screwworm eradication efforts in international programs. Countries represented in this collection include Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belize, Brazil, Costa Rica, Curacao, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, England, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Nicaragua, North Africa (including Libya), Panama, Paraguay, and the United States. Some records are organized by region, including Central America and the West Indies. Materials relating to the programs in Mexico are located in Collection 211, Southwestern United States and Mexico Collection. Due to the interconnectedness and staff overlap of many of the screwworm eradication programs, there may be international program materials in other Screwworm Eradication Program Record collections.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 356
Collection Name: Henry A. Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center History Collection
Earliest Date: 1934
Latest Date: 2011
Linear Feet: 29
Collection Description: The Henry A. Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center (BARC) History Collection contains several donations from the ARS Visitor Center at BARC. Materials include land surveys, building specifications, blueprints, and reports about the Visitor Center; a photograph album compiled by Robert T. Walker, former BARC landscape architect, showing the construction of BARC buildings (Departmental Laboratory Group, Main Lab, Mansion House, Sheep Barn, Animal Husbandry Lab, Animal Disease Station, Poultry Unit, Horticultural Field Station, and the Civilian Conservation Corps at the USDA Experimental Farm); blueprints from the construction of BARC; lab materials (microscopes, lab glassware, measuring devices); the silver tea set used during VIP visits; and a miniature train car that was on display at the Visitor Center. In 2011, the ARS Visitor Center closed. At that time the following materials were transferred to Special Collections: ARS Visitor Center records of tours; information files on BARC history, a model of the visitor center, a framed painting of the Log Lodge by a former USDA employee (38.5" x 26.75"), a framed blueprint of The Log Lodge (February 23, 1934) by Louis De Laouranthys for Animal Husbandry Division, Bureau of Animal Industry (26" x 21"); a drawing of the Log Lodge on onion skin paper, undated; a poster on foamcore of the Agricultural Administrators (post 2004); Agricultural Research Center blueprint, undated; and a microscope and case.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: The Henry A. Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center is a central part of the USDA's Agricultural Research Service and is one of the world's largest agricultural research complexes. On June 6, 2000, BARC is named in honor of former Secretary of Agriculture Henry A. Wallace, who was instrumental in it's expansion; under his guidance the center grew to 12,600 acres with over 40 major research buildings. USDA began relocating research to Beltsville in 1910. Major expansion during the 1930s and 1940s established its importance within the USDA's research activities.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Posters; Photographs
Digitization Status: None

Collection Number: 358
Collection Name: USDA Potato Research Collection
Earliest Date: 1907
Latest Date: 1945
Bulk Dates: 1910-1938
Linear Feet: 1
Collection Description: The USDA Potato Research Collection consists primarily of photographs used for research studies and documenting labs, fields, experiments, types of potatoes, equipment, and personal photographs and portraits. A wide range of locations are included: Potomac Flats in Washington, DC; Honeoye Falls, NY; the Colorado Potato Experiment Station; and various locations in Idaho, Oregon, California, Minnesota, Michigan, South Dakota, and Texas. Formats are mostly black and white photograph prints, but film negatives, glass plate negatives, and glass prints are also included.
Processed:
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs

Collection Number: 370
Collection Name: The Payne/National 4-H Fellowship Collection
Earliest Date: 1941
Latest Date: 1980
Bulk Dates: 1947-1969
Linear Feet: 6.75
Collection Description: The Payne/National 4-H Fellowship Collection includes photographs, publications, scrapbooks, programs, monthly reports, newsletters and news clippings, and correspondence detailing various 4-H fellows.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: The National 4-H Fellowship was one of the largest grants for study available to professional Extension workers. It was awarded beginning in 1931. Initially, two fellowships were established by Congresswoman Frances Payne Bolton of Ohio through the Payne Fund, Inc. (1927). The Payne organization established the 4-H fellowships as an experiment, in the hopes that the 4-H fellowship would be the nucleus of a larger number of permanent educational fellowships. Sixteen fellowships were granted by the Payne Fund from 1931-1938. Beginning with 1939, the fellowships were financed by the National 4-H Service Committee, and, since 1953, the Massey-Ferguson Company assisted the Committee in financial support of an enlarged program of six fellowships annually. The program ended in 1969. Fellowships were available to three men and three women. In one year, fellows learned the function, structure, and relationships of the Federal Extension Service and the Department of Agriculture; became acquainted with professional and educational organizations; and participated in the cultural experiences of Washington, D.C. Employees of the Extension Training Branch of the Federal Extension Service supervised the program.
Processed: Yes, view the finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs

Collection Number: 387
Collection Name: Schimmelpfennig Family Mill Collection
Earliest Date: 1899
Latest Date: 1987
Bulk Dates: 1930-1958, 1964-1965, 1974-1987
Linear Feet: 3.75
Collection Description: The Schimmelpfennig Family Mill Collection contains materials relating to the family's grain mill and family life in Sigourney, Iowa. Materials include ledger and account books containing detailed accounting of transactions at the mill for the years of 1899, 1930-1958, and 1974-1987. Also included in the collection are materials from the family's hobby interest in the history and preservation of old mills throughout the United States, including various old mill preservation and tourism ephemera. Of particular interest, the collection contains the diaries of Helen Schimmelpfennig, covering the dates of 1938-1942, 1944-1946, and 1964-1965, in which the author describes her daily life and activities in an Iowa farming community.
Historical or Biographical Sketch: The information that follows was taken directly from The History of Keokuk County, Iowa: Communities and its Families, Preserving the Past and Present. Keo-Mah Genealogical Society, Inc., 2001. August (Gust) Schimmelpfennig (1876-1949), married Enza Messerschmidt (1885-1956) of Martinsburg, Iowa. He owned a hardware store in Delta, Iowa and later the “Old Red Mill” in Sigourney before it was destroyed by a fire in the early 1920s. He resumed activity in the milling and feed business by purchasing what became Schimmelpfennig’s Mill with his oldest son Everett (1908-1974) in 1929. The early years were plagued by the Great Depression when many lost their businesses and properties because they were unable to make payments for mortgage and taxes. Everett went on the road in and around the county selling calf vitamins to take in enough money to meet those obligations for the mill. The mill stayed in the family until 1958 when it was purchased by Walter Applegate and later sold to Charles Cassens. Everett married Helen Mary Zaki (1909-1994), a Sigourney High School friend and they had two children, Hal Everett (1932- ) and Marylee (1938- ). Hal Everett and his wife, Jean B. Wilson (1930- ) had a son, David Everett (1959- ) who is an economist with the United States Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C.
Processed: Minimally processed, view the partial finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Maps; Photographs

Collection Number: 392
Collection Name: Molecular Plant Pathology Laboratory Photographs
Earliest Date: 1888
Latest Date: 1968
Linear Feet: 1
Collection Description: Collection includes photographs, associated notes, and a record book on various USDA activities and employees, dating between 1888 and 1968. Collection includes a series of photographs on testing of insecticide spraying apparatuses on different plant crops between 1912 and 1944. Much of the collection consists of photographs of employees from departments of Plant Industry and Plant Pathology, and other unknown individuals and departments. Also included are photographs of Arlington Farm in Arlington, Virginia before it was closed in the 1940s. The last item in the collection is a 1925 record book on seed treatment data from Rocky Ford, Colorado. More recent handwritten notes, possibly on the use of these historical documents in recent research, are inserted in the photographs and record book.
Processed: Minimally processed, view the partial finding aid online.
Formats: Agricultural Art and Memorabilia; Photographs
Digitization Status: None


Last Modified : August 2, 2013

 
 NAL Home | USDA | Agricultural Research Service | Science.gov | GPO Access | Web Policies and Important Links | Site Map
FOIA | Accessibility Statement | Privacy Policy | Non-Discrimination Statement | Information Quality | USA.gov | White House