Using Government Documents at NAL
Where can I get online information on government documents?
Online information on government documents can be found by searching:
- FDSys: GPO's Federal Digital System
- The Catalog of U.S. Government Publications
- The Federal Bulletin Board
Where is the NAL government documents collection?
Government documents received through the GPO/Federal Depository Library Program come in three forms:
- Print materials are fully cataloged and assigned LC classification call numbers. They are shelved throughout the NAL collection in the general stacks. Searching AGRICOLA will give the locations of these publications.
- Microfiche materials are filed by Superintendent of Documents number in under the call number Fiche S-133. For example, the Farmer's Bulletins in microfiche can be found at the following call number: Fiche S-133 A 1.9:[the bulletin number].
- Electronic materials are fully cataloged. Searching AGRICOLA will give the location or URL of specific electronic publications.
Who within NAL can help me with government documents?
Because the GPO depository documents are integrated into the NAL collection, the responsibilities for handling the depository collection are distributed throughout the staff of NAL.
For reference assistance, you may Ask a Question through our on-line form or contact the appropriate Information Center. For on-site users, Service Desks are located on the first floor of Beltsville location of NAL or in the DC Reference Center.
See Request Library Materials for information regarding photocopies or loan of depository documents. For on-site users, you may speak to the staff at the Service Desks.
Selection of GPO depository material is handled by the Acquisitions & Serials Branch. For information on NAL's profile of selections with GPO, contact the Acquisitions & Serials Branch. (301)504-5938 or (301)504-6806
How are government documents selected for the NAL collection?
GPO maintains a profile of selected items for each of its depository libraries. Additions to NAL's profile can only be made during the normal selection update process which opens at the beginning of June and closes at the end of July. The changes are effective at the beginning of October. Deletions to NAL's profile can be made at any time. NAL selects about 40% of what GPO offers to depository libraries. Selections include all the the "A" classification (U.S. Department of Agriculture publications), and the publications of other government agencies which fit the NAL collection development policy.
How can I tell if NAL selects a particular publication from GPO?
Search the Documents Data Miner 2 under "Depository Selection and Directory". NAL is depository 0092.