Study of the Soils of Macon County, Alabama, and Their Adaptability to Certain Crops
Source of Digital Item
Macon County, “the garden-spot of Alabama,” lies near the eastern boundary of the State, about 135 miles north of the Florida-Alabama line. It has an area of 621 square miles, embodying 397,440 acres. It is 34 miles in extent from east to west, and 24 3/4 miles from north to south. The northern and western boundary lines are quite irregular.
Tuskegee, the county-seat, was laid out in 1833, and has grown steadily since the removal of the Indians in 1836. It is located in the north central part of the county, and is noted for its commanding location, beautiful surroundings, and the purity of its waters. Indeed, mineral water of no mean composition has been found here and there within its borders.
Macon County was named in honor of the illustrious North Carolina statesman, Nathaniel Macon, and was established as a county December 18, 1832, by act of the General Assembly of the State of Alabama.