UMMC. Center for Integrative Medicine.
National Fiber Council.
DHHS. NIH. National Library of Medicine.
Harvard University. Harvard School of Public Health.
Learn about health benefits of fiber and the recommendations for fiber consumption.
NAS. IOM. Food and Nutrition Board.
USDA. Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
National Academy of Sciences. Institute of Medicine. Food and Nutrition Board.
View or download Full Report (PDF|5 MB)
View or download by Chapter or Appendix:
- Front Matter (PDF|114 KB)
- Summary (PDF|70 KB)
- Chapter 1 - Introduction to Dietary Reference Intakes (PDF|114 KB)
- Chapter 2 - Methods and Approaches Used (PDF|54 KB)
- Chapter 3 - Relationship of Macronutrients and Physical Activity to Chronic Disease (PDF|107 KB)
- Chapter 4 - A Model for the Development of Tolerable Upper Intake Levels (PDF|188 KB)
- Chapter 5 - Energy (PDF|942 KB)
- Chapter 6 - Dietary Carbohydrates: Sugars and Starches (PDF|351 KB)
- Chapter 7 - Dietary, Functional, and Total Fiber (PDF|514 KB)
- Chapter 8 - Dietary Fats: Total Fat and Fatty Acids (PDF|541 KB)
- Chapter 9 - Cholesterol (PDF|146 KB)
- Chapter 10 - Protein and Amino Acids (PDF|632 KB)
- Chapter 11 - Macronutrients and Healthful Diets (PDF|433 KB)
- Chapter 12 - Physical Activity (PDF|219 KB)
- Chapter 13 - Applications of Dietary Reference Intakes for Macronutrients (PDF|128 KB)
- Chapter 14 - A Research Agenda (PDF|26 KB)
- Appendix A - Glossary and Acronyms (PDF|21 KB)
- Appendix B - Origin and Framework of the Development of Dietary Reference Intakes (PDF|60 KB)
- Appendix C - Acknowledgments (PDF|17 KB)
- Appendix D - Dietary Intake Data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III), 1988-1994 (PDF|100 KB)
- Appendix E - Dietary Intake Data from the Continuing Survey of Food Intakes by Individuals (CSFII) 1994-1996, 1998 (PDF|93 KB)
- Appendix F - Canadian Dietary Intake Data, 1990-1997 (PDF|36 KB)
- Appendix G - Special Analyses for Dietary Fats (PDF|23 KB)
- Appendix H - Body Composition Data Based on the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III), 1988-1994 (PDF|64 KB)
- Appendix I - Doubly Labeled Water Data Used to Predict Energy Expenditure (PDF|160 KB)
- Appendix J - Association of Added Sugar Intake and Intake of Other Nutrients (PDF|65 KB)
- Appendix K - Data Comparing Carbohydrate Intake to Intake of Other Nutrients from the Continuing Survey of Food Intakes by Individuals (CSFII), 1994-1996, 1998 (PDF|53 KB)
- Appendix L - Options for Dealing with Uncertainties (PDF|29 KB)
- Appendix M - Nitrogen Balance Studies Used to Estimate the Protein Requirements in Adults (PDF|38 KB)
- Biographical Sketches of Panel and Subcommittee Members (PDF|60 KB)
- Index (PDF|126 KB)
- Summary Tables, Dietary Reference Intakes (PDF|58 KB)
Read this DRI report on-line at the National Academies Press website.
This DRI report focuses on energy and the macronutrients carbohydrate, fiber, fat, fatty acids, cholesterol, protein, and amino acids. View or download the entire 1357 page document or just selected sections below, or find information for obtaining the book version.