- Health and Safety Laboratory, Derbyshire UK
- Start date
- End date
- This research project aims to investigate potential interactions of mixtures of pesticides.
In its report on Risk Assessment of Mixtures of Pesticides and Similar Substances, the Committee on Toxicity of Chemicals in Food Consumer Products and the Environment (COT) recommended a need for investigation of the nature and dose-response relationships for combined actions of chemical mixtures.
This project focuses on possible combined actions of anticholinergic pesticides.
- More information
- An in vitro model based on cholinesterase depression will be used to investigate the nature and dose-response relationships of anticholinergic carbamates and organophosphates that may be found in foodstuffs.
These studies will determine whether effects are additive or otherwise. The effect of subsequent exposures will also be investigated.
Should any significant interactions be observed, these will be investigated further in controlled human volunteer studies.
Find more about this project and other FSA food safety-related projects at the Food Standards Agency Research webpage.
- Funding Source
- Food Standards Agency
- Project number
- Sanitation and Quality Standards
- Risk Assessment, Management, and Communication
- Natural Toxins