- Li, Hai-Ping; Atwill, Edward; Jay-Russell, Michele
- University of California - Davis
- Start date
- End date
- Our proposal will help the leafy greens produce industry determine if wild amphibians
(frogs, toads) and reptiles (lizards, snakes) are potential carriers of E. coli 0157:H7 and
Salmonella in the central California coast produce production region.
We will identify management practices and prevention strategies that reduce the risk of contamination of leafy greens and nearby waterways by these species. Statistical procedures and epidemiological methods will be used to complete three objectives:
- Determine if wild amphibians and reptiles are reservoirs of E. coli 0157:H7 and Salmonella in the central California coast;
- Identify farm production practices, environmental factors and control strategies that reduce the risk of contamination from amphibian and reptile species in the leafy greens produce growing environment;
- Extend knowledge of preventing produce contamination by amphibians and reptiles to the produce community.
- Funding Source
- Center for Produce Safety
- Project number
- Bacterial Pathogens
- Meat, Poultry, Game