Information about food safety standards such as Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), Food Safety Systems, and Food Defense.
Food Safety Publications: Food Safety Modernization Act
Research publications on Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) from peer-reviewed journals.
Research Projects: Food Safety Modernization Act
The Food Safety Research Projects Database (RPD) contains information about research projects related to the study of the Food Safety Modernization Act.
Books and Materials on Produce Safety in the NAL Catalog
National Agricultural Library's (NAL) searchable database for journal citations available to persons interested in information on produce safety.
Meet the Experts
Selected External Resources on Food Safety Standards
Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA)
The FSMA law signed by Congress in 2011 includes preventive food safety regulations and implementation strategies designed to protect the U.S. food supply from production to consumption.
- Food Safety Outreach Program [nifa.usda.gov]
- The Food Safety Modernization Act in a Nutshell [nist.gov]
- FDA Announces FSMA Food Traceability Proposed Rule, A Major Milestone in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety [fda.gov]
- FDA Food Safety Modernization Act Overview [fda.gov]
Guidance for Industry: Juice HACCP and the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act [fda.gov]
- Food Safety Modernization Act Guidance Documents [fda.gov]
- FSMA Training [fda.gov]
Produce Safety Rule
The produce safety rule of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), requires science-based minimum standards for the safe growing, harvesting, packing, and holding of fruits and vegetables grown for human consumption.
- NECAFS Produce Safety Handbook for Buyers [necafs.org]
- FSMA Final Rule on Produce Safety: Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing, and Holding of Produce for Human Consumption [fda.gov]
- The Produce Safety Alliance - A Public/Private Partnership for the Produce Industry [ams.usda.gov]
- State Produce Implementation Cooperative Agreement Program (CAP) [fda.gov]
- Southern Center for Food Safety Training, Outreach, and Technical Assistance [ifas.ufl.edu]
- Western Regional Center to Enhance Food Safety [agsci.oregonstate.edu]
- The Northeast Center to Advance Food Safety [uvm.edu/extension]
- North Central Region Center for FSMA Training, Extension, and Technical Assistance [ncrfsma.org]
Preventive Controls for Human Foods Rule
The Preventive Controls for Human Foods Rule of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), requires that reasonable measures and precautions are taken to minimize the risk of food contamination.
Preventive Food Safety Systems
Resources about preventive methods for food safety systems such as the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP).
Meat and Poultry-Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP)
Provides HACCP resources for meat and poultry processing plants such as training materials, implementation guidelines, HACCP plans, supporting documentation materials, and more.
Retail and Food Service-Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP)
Includes HACCP resources for school food service, food retail, and catering such as monitoring forms and checklists, guidelines, training materials, sample plans, and publications.
Seafood-Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP)
A variety of seafood HACCP resources including training information and protocols, education materials, HACCP manuals, and sample HACCP plans.
- Seafood HACCP [fda.gov]
- NOAA’s Seafood Inspection Program [fisheries.noaa.gov]
- Compendium of Fish and Fishery Product Processes, Hazards, and Controls [seafood.oregonstate.edu]
- Seafood HACCP [seafood.oregonstate.edu]
- Retail Product Warehousing and Transit Controls in Compliance with Current Seafood HACCP Regulations [fmi.org] [PDF, 772 KB]
The overall process of protecting the food supply from intentional contamination, including preventive measures, surveillance, incident reporting and control.
Food Defense Resources
Food defense initiatives and resources for biosecurity to protect the U.S. food and agricultural systems.