Sustainable Agriculture: Definitions and Terms. 1999 Reading List.
Special Reference Briefs Series no. SRB 99-02
Updates SRB 94-05
September 1999; revised August 2007
Mary V. Gold
Alternative Farming Systems Information Center
National Agricultural Library
U.S. Department of Agriculture
10301 Baltimore Avenue
Beltsville, MD 20705-2351
View Sustainable Agriculture: Definition and Terms [1999 version], including background information about sustainable agriculture, a glossary of related terms, and the 1999 Reading List with author index. Or view the the Reading List Supplement 2000-2007 with author index.
Main URL: https://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/sustainable-agriculture-definitions-and-terms.
The list of books, articles, web documents, and videocassettes that follows is not meant to be a comprehensive compilation. Rather, it is an attempt to represent the range of academic fields, geographic areas, agricultural practices, environmental issues, and philosophies that sustainable agriculture touches upon. Included are 61 "Reading List" items from the 1994 edition of "Sustainable Agriculture: Definitions and Terms." An author index is appended. Internet resource sites are listed with the date (in parentheses) that the author accessed them.
See also: 2007 Reading List with 193 bibliographic citations between 2000 and 2007.
Sanet-mg, the Sustainable Agriculture Network (SAN) e-mail discussion group, hosted dynamic discussion about the definitions, dimensions, and implications of a sustainable agriculture. A particularly lively and informative "give and take" took place during the early part of 1995. Another thread on the social and economic aspects of sustainability in agriculture occurred during the Summer of 1999. (Group no longer exists)
1. "Achieving Efficient and Sustainable Water Resource Management: Australia's Approach," by V. Aeuckens and A. Hamdy. In Sustainability of Irrigated Agriculture: Water Saving and Sustainable Irrigated Agriculture in the Mediterranean Region, pp. 83-97. New Dehli, India: International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID), 1996. Note: Proceedings of workshop at the 16th ICID Congress, Sept. 16, 1996 in Cairo, Egypt.
2."Adopting Multidisciplinary Approaches to Sustainable Agriculture Research: Potentials and Pitfalls," by C.R. Stark, Jr. American Journal of Alternative Agriculture 10, no. 4 (Fall 1995): pp. 180-183. [NAL Call Number: S605.5 A43]
3. "Agricultural Sustainability: Concepts and Conundrums," by R.W. Herdt, R.A. Steiner and V. Barnett. In Agricultural Sustainability: Economic, Environmental and Statistical Considerations, by V. Barnett, R. Payne and R.A. Steiner, pp. 3-13. Chichester UK: John Wiley & Sons, 1995. [NAL Call Number: S494.5 S86A375 1995]
6. Agriculture Systems for Sustainable Development, by L. Elswick and J.M. von der Weid. World Sustainable Agriculture Association and AS-PTA Brazil, no date. Note: From The Earth Council Secretariat, Costa Rica.
7. "An Agroecological Approach to Sustainable Agriculture," by I. Amien. In Multiple Objective Decision Making for Land, Water, and Environmental Management: Proceedings of the First International Conference on Multiple Objective Decision Support Systems (MODSS) for Land, Water and Environmental Management: Concepts, Approaches, and Applications, by S.A. El-Swaify and D.S. Yakowitz, pp. 465-480. Boca Raton FL: Lewis Publishers, 1998. Note: Conference held Honolulu, Hawaii, September, 1996. [NAL Call Number: HC13 I544 1996]
12. Alternative Approaches to on-Farm Research and Technology Exchange: A Project of the North Central Region Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education and Agriculture in Concert With the Environment, by C.A. Francis and University of Nebraska, Lincoln Center for Sustainable Agricultural Systems. Lincoln: Center for Sustainable Agricultural Systems, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1995. 174p. Note: "This material was prepared with the support of USDA Agreement no 92-COOP-1-7266.". [NAL Call Number: S441 A48 1995]
13. "Alternative Systems of Inquiry for a Sustainable Agriculture," by J.N. Pretty and S. Davies. Knowledge Is Power? The Use and Abuse of Information in Development (IDS Bulletin) 25, no. 2 (1994): pp. 37-48. [NAL Call Number: HC59.7 U53]
17. The Basic Principles of Sustainable Agriculture: Also Called "Alternative Agriculture" and LISA": An Introduction for Farmers, Environmentalists, the Public, and Policy Makers, by W.J. Hudson and J. Harsch. Washington DC: Cooperative State Research Service, USDA; Cooperative Extension Service, 1991. Note: "A policy briefing book." [NAL Call Number: aS441 H82 1991]
18. "Benefits and Risks of Genetic Engineering in Agriculture," by D. Pimental, M.S. Hunter, J.A. LaGro, R.A. Efroymson, J.C. Landers, F.T. Mervis, C.A. McCarthy and A.E. Boyd. BioScience 39, no. 9 (Oct. 1989): pp. 606-614. [NAL Call Number: 500 Am322A]
19. Beyond Oil: The Threat to Food and Fuel in the Coming Decades, by J. Gever, R. Kaufmann, D. Skole and C. Vorosmarty. Cambridge MA: Ballinger, 1986. Note: A Project of Carrying Capacity, Inc. [NAL Call Number: TJ163.25 U6B44]
23. "Canadian Approaches to Biotechnology Regulation," by J.E. Hollebone and L. Duke. In Biosafety for Sustainable Agriculture: Sharing Biotechnology Regulatory Experiences of the Western Hemisphere, by A.F. Krattiger and A. Rosemarin, pp. 79-90. Ithaca NY: ISAAA-International Service for the Acquisition of Agri- biotech Applications, 1994. Note: Jointly published with the International Service for Agri-Science Applications. [NAL Call Number: S494.5 S86B56 1994]
25. Checklist for Sustainable Landscape Management: Final Report of the EU Concerted Action AIR3-CT93-1210: the Landscape and Nature Production Capacity of Organic/Sustainable Types of Agriculture, by J.D. van Mansvelt and M.J. van der Lubbe. Amsterdam; New York: Elsevier, 1999. [NAL Call Number: HD588 C47 1999]
26. "Clarifying the Definition of Sustainable Agriculture," by H. Lehman, E.A. Clark and S.F. Weise. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 6, no. 2 (1993): pp. 127-143. [NAL Call Number: BJ52.5 J68]
30. "Community-Controlled Economic Development as a Strategic Vision for the Sustainable Agriculture Movement," by D. Campbell. American Journal of Alternative Agriculture 12, no. 1 (1997): pp. 37-44. [NAL Call Number: S605.5 A43]
31. "Concept of Sustainability in Agriculture Under Indian Context - Major Issues and Resource Recycling," by T. Chakraborty and R.B. Mallick. In Proceedings National Symposium on Sustainable Agriculture in Sub Humid Zone, by M.K. Dasgupta, D.C. Ghosh, D. Das Gupta, D.K. Majumdar, G.N. Chattopadhyay, P.K. Ganguli, P.S. Munsi and D. Bhattacharya, pp. 12-19. Visva-Bharati Birbhum India: Palli-Siksha Bhavana (Institute of Agriculture), 1995. Note: Meeting held in Sriniketan, West Bengal, India, March 3-5, 1995.
32. "Concepts and Dimensions of Sustainable Agriculture," by S.K. Mukhopadhyay and R.B. Mallick. In Proceedings National Symposium on Sustainable Agriculture in Sub Humid Zone, by M.K. Dasgupta, D.C. Ghosh, G.D. Das, D.K. Majumdar, G.N. Chattopadhyay, P.K. Ganguli, P.S. Munsi and D. Bhattacharya, pp. 1-4. Visva-Bharati Birbhum India: Palli-Siksha Bhavana (Institute of Agriculture), 1995. Note: Meeting held in Sriniketan, West Bengal, India, March 3- 5, 1995.
33. "Conceptual Framework for the Transition From Conventional to Sustainable Agriculture," by S.B. Hill and R.J. MacRae. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture 7, no. 1 (1995): pp. 81-87. [NAL Call Number: S494.5 S86S8]
34. "Considerations and Constraints on the Use of Indicators in Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development," by J.B. Tschirley. FAO Land and Water Bulletin (Land Quality Indicators and Their Use in Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development) 5 (1997): pp. 197-207. [NAL Call Number: TC401 F36]
35. "Conventional Versus Alternative Agriculture: The Paradigmatic Roots of the Debate ," by C.E. Beus and R.E. Dunlap. Rural Sociology 55, no. 4 (Winter 1990): pp. 590-616. [NAL Call Number: 281.28 R88]
36. "Crop Protection in Sustainable Farming Systems," by D. Atkinson and R.G. McKinlay. In Integrated Crop Protection: Towards Sustainability? Proceedings of a Symposium Organised by the British Crop Protection Council in Association with Sustainable Farming Systems, pp. 483-488. (BCPC Symposium Proceedings, 63) Farnham, UK: British Crop Protection Council, 1995. Note: Symposium held at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland on September 11-14, 1995. [NAL Call Number: SB599 B73 no.63]
37. Defining and Implementing Sustainable Agriculture, by D. Norman, R. Janke, S. Freyenberger, B. Schurle and H. Kok. (Kansas Sustainable Agriculture Series, 1) Kansas State University, 1997.
40. "Designing the Future: Sustainable Agriculture in the US," by C.A. Francis and P. Madden. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 46, no. 1/4 (Sept 1993): pp. 123-134. Note: In the special issue: Agriculture and the Environment, edited by C.A. Edwards, M.K. Wali, D.J. Horn and F. Miller. Paper presented at the International Conference on Agriculture and the Environment held Nov. 1991, Columbus OH. [NAL Call Number: S601 A34]
41. "The Development Approach to Chinese Sustainable Agriculture," by J.G. Ke, X.G. Zhang, J.T. Cheng, J.G. Ke, X.G. Zhang and J.T. Cheng. Journal of Nanjing Agricultural University 18, no. 2 (1995): pp. 21-25. Note: Text in Chinese, with summaries in English. [NAL Call Number: S19 N35]
43. "Dietary Guidelines for Sustainability," by J.D. Gussow and K.L. Clancy. In Chicken Little, Tomato Sauce and Agriculture: Who Will Produce Tomorrow's Food? by J.D. Gussow, pp. 133-143. New York: Bootstrap Press, 1991. [NAL Call Number: S441 G87 1991]
46. "Dirt in Our Mouths and Hunger in Our Bellies: Metaphor, Theory-Making, and Systems Approaches to Sustainable Agriculture," by M. Campbell. Agriculture and Human Values 15, no. 1 (Mar 1998): pp. 57-64. [NAL Call Number: HT401 A36]
47. "Economics of Sustainable Agriculture," by D.C. White, J.B. Braden and R.H. Hornbaker. In Sustainable Agriculture Systems, by J.L. Hatfield and D.L. Karlen, pp. 229-260. Boca Raton: Lewis Publishers, 1994. [NAL Call Number: S494.5 S86S86 1994]
48. Environment and Sustainable Agricultural Development: Concepts, General Issues, Constraints and Strategies, by K.C. Roy, R.K. Sen, C.A. Tisdell and International Institute for Development Studies (Calcutta). New Delhi: International Institute for Development Studies; New Age International, 1996. [NAL Call Number: S494.5 E86 1996]
49. Environmental Sustainability and the Redesign of Agroecosystems, by S.B. Hill. (EAP Publication, 34) Ecological Agriculture Projects, 1992. Note: Paper presented at the International Conference on Sustainability of Egyptian Agriculture in the 1990's and Beyond, held in Alexandria, May 15-19, 1992.
50. Environmentally Sustainable Food and Agriculture, by S.B. Hill. (EAP Publication, 11) Ecological Agriculture Projects (EAP), 1991.
51. Evaluating Natural Resource Use in Agriculture, by T. Robertson, B.C. English and R.R. Alexander. Ames IA: Iowa State University Press, 1998. xxi, 397p. Note: Papers prepared for special sessions at the Atlantic Economic Society's Thirtieth International held in Williamsburg, VA, October 11-14, 1990. [NAL Call Number: S22 E835 1998]Conference
52. Exploring Sustainability in Agriculture: Ways to Enhance Profits, Protect the Environment and Improve Quality of Life, by Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE). Washington DC: SARE, 1997.
53. Exploring the Role of Diversity in Sustainable Agriculture, by R. Olson, C.A. Francis and S. Kaffka, pp. xiii, 249. Madison WI: American Society of Agronomy, 1995. [NAL Call Number: S494.5 D58E86 1995]
54. "Farmer Initiatives As Countervailing Power: A New Approach to Sustainable Agricultural Development," by R. de Bruin and J. Roex. In Agricultural Restructuring and Rural Change in Europe (Wageningse Sociologische Studies), by D. Symes and A.J. Jansen, pp. 195-208. Vol. 37. Wageningen: Agricultural University, 1994. [NAL Call Number: HD1917 A35 1994]
56. "Farmers' Knowledge and Sustainable Agroecosystem Management: An Operational Definition and an Example from Chiapas, Mexico," by M.R. Bellon. Human Organization 54, no. 3 (1995): pp. 263-272. [NAL Call Number: GN1 H8]
57. Farming Systems Research and Spirituality: An Analysis of the Foundations of Professionalism in Developing Sustainable Farming Systems, by T. van Eijk, pp. iii, 318. Wageningen: Landbouwuniversiteit Wageningen, 1998. Note: Thesis, Wageningen Agricultural University.
59. "Food, Nutrition and Population," by J. Mayer. In Sustaining Tomorrow; A Strategy for World Conservation and Development, by F.R. Thibodeau and H.H. Field, pp. 154-162. Hanover: Published for Tufts University by University Press of New England, 1984. [NAL Call Number: HC79 E5S8]
62. Future Horizons: Recent Literature in Sustainable Agriculture, by G. Hegyes and C.A. Francis. (Extension and Education Materials for Sustainable Agriculture, 6) Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources (IANR), Center for Sustainable Agricultural Systems, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1998.
63. "The Future of Sustainable Agriculture/La Agricultura Sostenible Que Viene," by I. Garcia-Badell. Agricultura, Revista Agropecuaria 65, no. 764 (1996): pp. 182-184. Note: In Spanish. [NAL Call Number: 15 Ag84]
64. Green Technologies for a More Sustainable Agriculture, by J. Hrubovcak, U. Vasavada and J.E. Aldy. (Agriculture Information Bulletin, 752) Washington DC: US Dept. of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, 1999. [NAL Call Number: 1 Ag84Ab no. 752]
65. "Growth Through Global Sustainability: An Interview With Monsanto's CEO, Robert B. Shapiro," by J. Magretta. Harvard Business Review 75, no. 1 (Jan/Feb 1997): pp. 78. [NAL Call Number: 280.8 H262]
66. "Harnessing Plant Genetic Resources for Sustainable Agriculture," by H.D. Cooper, C. Spillane, I. Kermali and N.M. Anishetty . Plant Genetic Resources Newsletter 114 (1998): pp. 1-8. [NAL Call Number: 451 F732]
67. "Holistic Resource Management: An Approach to Sustainable Agriculture on Montana's Great Plains," by B.W. Sindelar, C. Montagne and R.R.H. Kroos. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 50, no. 1 (1995): pp. 45-49. [NAL Call Number: 56.8 J822]
68. "Ideology and Agricultural Technology in the Late Twentieth Century: Biotechnology As Symbol and Substance," by F.H. Buttel. Agriculture and Human Values 10, no. 2 (Spring 1993): pp. 5-15. [NAL Call Number: HT101 A36]
69. "Indicators - a Method to Describe Sustainability of Livestock Farming Systems," by V. Ostergaard and J.P. Hansen. In Agricultural Science for Biodiversity and Sustainability in Developing Countries: Proceedings of a Workshop, by F. Dolberg and P.H. Petersen, pp. 108-116. Frederiksberg, Denmark: Jordbrugsforlaget, 1995. Note: Meeting held at Tune Landboskole, Denmark, April 3-7, 1995.
70. Indicators of Land Quality and Sustainable Land Management: An Annotated Bibliography, by J. Dumanski, S. Gameda and C. Pieri. (Environmentally and Socially Sustainable Development, Rural Development) Washington DC: World Bank, 1998. Note: "A joint publication of the World Bank and Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada." [NAL Call Number: Z5074 L27D85 1998]
71. "Institutional Issues and Strategies for Sustainable Agriculture: View From Within the Land-Grant University," by S.S. Batie and S.M. Swinton. American Journal of Alternative Agriculture 9, no. 1/2 (Winter/Spring 1994): pp. 23-27. [NAL Call Number: S605.5 A43]
72. Integrated Pest Management and Sustainable Agriculture: An Entomological Approach: Proceedings of the National Symposium: Insect & Environment - IV, by S.C. Goel. Muzaffarnagar, India: Uttar Pradesh Zoological Society, 1996. Note: Meeting held at Muzaffarnagar, Uttar Pradesh, India, on September 22-24, 1995.
73. Integrating Economic Growth, Equity, and Environmental Assets Components of Sustainable Development in Tropical Agriculture: A Conceptual Framework, by C.G. Davis, pp. 6. Gainesville FL: Food and Resource Economics Dept., Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, 1994. [NAL Call Number: HD82 I68 no.94 8]
74. "Integrating Social, Environmental, and Economic Issues in Sustainable Agriculture ," by P. Allen, D. Van Dusen, J. Lundy and S.R. Gliessman. American Journal of Alternative Agriculture 6, no. 1 (1991): pp. 34-39. [NAL Call Number: S605.5 A43]
76. "Introduction to the Conference Theme 'Towards a Sustainable Agriculture'," by C. Fisher. Towards a Sustainable Agriculture: Papers (1977): pp. 11-14. Note: Papers given at an International Conference held in Sissach, Switzerland, International. Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements. [NAL Call Number: S605.5.T68]
79. "Land Use Planning for Sustainable Agriculture: Are Environmental Conflicts Inevitable," by S.A. El Swaify. In Multiple Objective Decision Making for Land, Water, and Environmental Management: Proceedings of the First International Conference on Multiple Objective Decision Support Systems (MODSS) for Land, Water and Environmental Management: Concepts, Approaches, and Applications, by S.A. El Swaify and D.S. Yakowitz, pp. 9-21. Boca Raton FL: Lewis Publishers, 1998. Note: Conference held Honolulu, Hawaii, September, 1996. [NAL Call Number: HC13 I544 1996]
81. List of Sustainable Agriculture Terms (Second Version), by European Network for Low External Input and Sustainable Agriculture, Brazil Assesoria e Servicos a Projetos em Agricultura Alternativa and Peru Red de Agricultura Ecologica del Peru, pp. 166. Lima: Red de Agricultura Ecologica del Peru, 1995. Note: 4-language thesaurus, English, Spanish, French, Portuguese.
82. "Low-Input Agriculture: Trends, Goals, and Prospects for Input Use," by S.G. Daberkow and K.H. Reichelderfer. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 70, no. 5 (Dec.1988): pp. 1159-1166. [NAL Call Number: 280.8 J822]
84. "The Meanings of Agricultural Sustainability," by G.K. Douglass. In Agricultural Sustainability in a Changing World Order, by G.K. Douglass, pp. 3-30. Boulder CO: Westview Press, 1984. [NAL Call Number: S523 A35]
85. "Measuring Adherence to Alternative vs Conventional Agricultural Paradigms: A Proposed Scale," by C.E. Beus and R.E. Dunlap. Rural Sociology 56, no. 3 (Fall 1991): pp. 432-460. [NAL Call Number: 281.28 R88]
86. Meeting the Expectations of the Land: Essays in Sustainable Agriculture and Stewardship, by W. Jackson, W. Berry and B. Colman, editors. San Francisco: North Point Press, 1984. [NAL Call Number: S441 M4]
87. "Midwestern Land-Grant University Scientists' Definitions of Sustainable Agriculture: A Delphi Study," by G. Walter and A. Reisner. American Journal of Alternative Agriculture 9, no. 3 (1994): pp. 109-121. [NAL Call Number: S605.5 A43]
88. "Natural Systems Sustainability and Agriculture in Africa," by V.U. James. In Sustainable Development in Third World Countries: Applied and Theoretical Perspectives, by V.U. James, pp. 62-78. Westport CT: Praeger, 1996. [NAL Call Number: HC59.72 E5S87 1996]
89. "The Need for a Systems Approach to Sustainable Agriculture," by J.E. Ikerd. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 46, no. 1/4 (Sept. 1993): pp. 147-160. Note: In the special issue: Agriculture and the Environment, edited by C.A. Edwards, M.K. Wali, D.J. Horn and F. Miller Paper presented at the International Conference on Agriculture and the Environment held Nov. 10-13, 1991, Columbus OH. [NAL Call Number: S601 A34]
90. "A New Paradigm for World Agriculture: Meeting Human Needs - Productive, Sustainable, Nutritious," by R.M. Welch and R.D. Graham. Field Crop Research 60, no. 1/2 (Jan 1999): pp. 1-10. Note: In the special issue: Sustainable field crop systems for enhancing human health: agricultural approaches to balanced micronutrient nutrition, edited by RM Welch and RD Graham. [NAL Call Number: SB183 F5]
92. The NGO Alternative Treaties From the Global Forum at Rio De Janeiro, June 1-15, 1992: NGO Sustainable Agriculture Treaty. 1992.
93. "NGOs and Farmers Call for Increased Leadership and Partnership in the Transition to Sustainable and Ecological Agriculture: Defining Sustainable Agriculture," by J.M. von der Weid, P. Staatsen, R. Blobaum and L. Elswick. WSSA Newsletter (World Sustainable Agriculture Association) 6, no. 23 (Winter 1997): pp. 1,11.
94. "Obstacles to Increasing Sustainable Agricultural Productivity in Latin America," by S.L. Barraclough, C. Kay, A. Bhaduri and R. Skarstein. Economic Development and Agricultural Productivity (1997): pp. 136-161. [NAL Call Number: HD1405 E25 1997]
97. "Open Questions in Sustainable Agriculture," by W. Lockeretz. American Journal of Alternative Agriculture 3, no. 4 (Fall 1988): pp. 174-181. [NAL Call Number: S605.5 A45]
98. Operational Implementation of the Concept of Sustainable Farming Systems/Operacionalizacion Del Concepto De Sistemas De Produccion Sostenibles, by J.A. Berdegue and E. Ramirez, pp. 116. Santiago, Chile: Red Internacional e Metodologia de Investigacion de Sistemas de Produccion (RIMISP), 1995. Note: Contains four of the papers presented at the 6th International Meeting of the RIMISP held at Jaguariuna, Sao Paulo, Brazil, April 1994. In Spanish.
99. "Options for Sustainable Agricultural Systems and Policy Instruments to Reach Them," by A. Kuyvenhoven , R. Ruben and G. Kruseman. In Eco-Regional Approaches for Sustainable Land Use and Food Production: Proceedings of a Symposium on Eco-Regional Approaches in Agricultural Research, by J. Bouma, A. Kuyvenhoven, B.A.M. Bouman, J.C. Luyten and H.G. Zandstra, pp. 187-212. (Systems Approaches for Sustainable Agricultural Development, 4) Dordrecht Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1995. Note: Meeting held at The Hague, Netherlands, Dec. 12-16, 1994.
100. "Organic Farming for Sustainable Agricultural Production: A Brief Theoretical Review and Preliminary Empirical Evidence," by S.J. Dima and A.N. Odero. Environmental and Resource Economics 10, no. 2 (1997): pp. 177-188.
101. "Organic Food Exporting in New Zealand: Sustainable Agriculture, Corporate Agribusiness and Globalizing Food Networks," by H. Campbell and M. Redclift. In Sustainable Rural Development, by H. de Haan and B. Kasimis, pp. 51-72. Aldershot UK; Brookfield US: Ashgate Publishing, 1997. Note: Paper presented at the Sixteenth Congress of the European Society for Rural Sociology, August 1995, Prague, Czech Republic. [NAL Call Number: HC79 E5S867 1997]
102. "Our Relationship with the Ecosystem and Its Impact on Sustainable Agriculture," by R.W. Elmore. Journal of Production Agriculture 9, no. 1 (Jan/Mar 1996): pp. 42-45. [NAL Call Number: S539.5 J68]
103. "Perceptions of Sustainable Agriculture: A Longitudinal Study of Young and Potential Producers," by J.A. Gamon and G.G. Scofield. Journal of Agricultural Education 39, no. 1 (1998): pp. 63-72. [NAL Call Number: S530 A4]
104. "Planetary Patriotism: Sustainable Agriculture for the Future," by H.A. Schneiderman and W. Carpenter. Environmental Science Technology 24, no. 4 (1990): pp. 466-473. [NAL Call Number: TD420 A1E5]
105. Planting the Future: Developing an Agriculture That Sustains Land and Community, by E.A.R. Bird, G.L. Bultena and J.C. Gardner. Ames: Iowa State University Press, 1995. [NAL Call Number: S441 P58 1995]
109. "Present Situation and Future Prospect of Japanese Rice Cultivation by Nature Farming," by T. Udagawa and I. Yamaura. In Toward Enhanced and Sustainable Agricultural Productivity in the 2000's: Breeding Research and Biotechnology. Proceedings of the 7th International Congress of SABRAO and WSAA Symposium Held at Academia Sinica, by S.C. Huang, D.J. Liu, C.H. Kao and T.T. Chang, pp. 767-776. Vol. III. (Special Publication Taichung District Agricultural Improvement Station, 35) Changua, Taiwan: Taichung District Agricultural Improvement Station, in association with the Society for the Advancement of Breeding Researches in Asia and Oceania, 1994. Note: Symposium held at Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C., November 16-20, 1993. [NAL Call Number: SB123.57 I53 1993]
111. "The Production of Agricultural Sustainability: Observations from the Sociology of Science and Technology," by F.H. Buttel. In Food for the Future: Condition and Contradictions of Sustainability, by P. Allen, pp. 19-46. New York: Wiley, 1993. Note: "A Wiley Interscience publication." [NAL Call Number: HD1415 F633 1993]
112. "Profitable and Environmentally Sound Agriculture: A Sustainable Approach to the Future," by J.L. Novak and W.R. Goodman. Journal of Agricultural and Food Information 2, no. 4 (1994): pp. 43-62. [NAL Call Number: S494.5 I47J68]
113. Promoting Sustainable Agriculture Through a Systems Approach to Consensus Building and Public Policy Education: Final Report, by E.M. Tavernier and Northeast Region Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program, pp. various. New Brunswick NJ: Dept. of Agricultural Economics and Marketing, Rutgers Cooperative Extension, N.J. Agricultural Experiment Station, Rutgers the State University of New Jersey, 1996. Note: Report from SARE Project Number: ENE95-14. [NAL Call Number: S443 P76 1996]
114. "Public Policy and Sustainable Agricultural Development - a Natural Resource Accounting Approach," by R.P.S. Malik. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics 49, no. 4 (1994): pp. 569-578. [NAL Call Number: 281.8 IN2]
115. "A Quantifying Approach for Evaluating Sustainable Agriculture in Iran," by A. Koocheki and A.K. Dhawan. In Ecological Agriculture and Sustainable Development: Proceedings of International Conference on Ecological Agriculture: Towards Sustainable Development, by G.S. Dhaliwal, R. Arora and N.S. Randhawa, pp. 451-457. Vol. 2. Ludhiana, India; Chandigarh, India: Indian Ecological Society; Centre for Research in Rural and Industrial Development, 1998. Note: Meeting held in Chandigarh, India, Nov. 15-17, 1997. [NAL Call Number: S471 I4I57 1997]
116. "Quantifying the Agroecological Component of Sustainable Agriculture: A Goal," by S.R. Gliessman. In Agroecology: Researching the Ecological Basis for Sustainable Agriculture, by S.R. Gliessman, pp. 367-370. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1990. [NAL Call Number: QH540 E288 v. 78]
119. "Research to Achieve Sustainable Growth in Agriculture Production: into the 21st Century," by V.W. Ruttan. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 18, no. 2 (1996): pp. 123-132. Note: 6th International Congress of Plant Pathology, Montreal, Canada, 28 Jul - 6 Aug 1993. [NAL Call Number: SB599 C35]
120. "Review and Appraisal of Concept of Sustainable Food Production Systems," by M. Brklacich, C.R. Bryant and B. Smit. Environmental Management 15, no. 1 (Jan./Feb. 1991): pp. 1-14. [NAL Call Number: HC79 E5E5]
122. "The Role of Precision Farming in Sustainable Agriculture: A European Perspective," by B.S. Blackmore , P.N. Wheeler, J. Morris and W.E. Larson. In Site Specific Management for Agricultural Systems: Proceedings of Second International Conference, by P.C. Robert and R.H. Rust, pp. 777-793. Madison WI: American Society of Agronomy; Crop Science Society of America; Soil Science Society of America, 1995. Note: "The proceedings of the Second International Conference on Site-Specific Management for Agricultural Systems, held in Minneapolis (Bloomington), March 28-30, 1994, a first conference was held in Minneapolis in April 1992." [NAL Call Number: S590.2 P762 1995]
125. "Small Farms and Sustainable Development: Is Small More Sustainable?" by G. D'Souza and J.E. Ikerd. Journal of Agriculture and Applied Economics 28, no. 1 (1996): pp. 73-83. [NAL Call Number: HD101 S6]
126. "Some Observations on Agro-Food Change and the Future of Agricultural Sustainability Movements," by F.H. Buttel. In Globalising Food: Agrarian Questions and Global Restructuring, by D. Goodman and M. Watts, pp. 344-365. London; New York: Routledge, 1997. Note: "This book emerged from a workshop on 'Agrarian questions and the restructuring of the agro-food system' held on the Berkeley campus of the University of California, on 28-30 September 1995."
127. "Steps to a Sustainable Agriculture," by J. Horne. Field Notes (Kerr Center for Sustainable Agriculture) 24, no. 2 (Fall 1998): pp. 1,3.
129. Sustainability in the Balance: Expanding the Definition of Sustainable Agriculture, by P. Allen, D. Van Dusen, J. Lundy and S.R. Gliessman. (Sustainability in the Balance Series) Santa Cruz: University of California, Santa Cruz, Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems, 1992. [NAL Call Number: S441 S872]
130. Sustainability in the Balance: What Do We Want to Sustain? Developing a Comprehensive Vision of Sustainable Agriculture, by P. Allen and C. Sachs. (Sustainability in the Balance Series) Santa Cruz: University of California, Santa Cruz, Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems, 1992. [NAL Call Number: S441 S872]
131. Sustainability - Its Meaning for Agriculture, the Environment and the Fertiliser Industry, Proceedings Fertiliser Society. (Proceedings, 349) Peterborough UK: Fertiliser Society, 1994. 44p. Note: Meeting held Dec. 1993 in Cambridge, UK. Contains the keynote address on sustainable agriculture delivered by the UK Secretary of State for the Environment. [NAL Call Number: 57.9 F41]
133. "Sustainability: What It Is and What It Is Not," by P.B. Thompson. Agro-Ecology: News and Perspectives (Agroecology/Sustainable Agriculture Program College of Agricultural, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 7, no. 1 (Summer 1998): pp. 3-8. Note: Agro-Ecology Editors, 211 Mumford Hall, 1301 West Gregory Drive, Urbana, Illinois 61801.
135. "Sustainable Agriculture," by S. Aschmann and Watershed Science Institute. WSSI Sustainability Technical Note (Natural Resources Conservation Service, USDA) 1 (Oct 1997): pp. 12. Note: Watershed Science Institute, NRCS, c/o USDA Agroforestry Center, UNL - East Campus, Lincoln, NE 68583- 0822.
136. "Sustainable Agriculture: A Matter of Ecology, Equity, Economic Efficiency or Experience?" by D.J. Pannell and S. Schilizzi. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture 13, no. 4 (1999): pp. 65. [NAL Call Number: S494.5 S86S8]
140. "Sustainable Agriculture: An Overview," by C.A. Francis and G. Youngberg. In Sustainable Agriculture in Temperate Zones, by C.A. Francis, C.B. Flora and L.D. King. 8p. New York: Wiley, 1990. [NAL Call Number: S494.5 S86S87]
141. "Sustainable Agriculture and Its Social Geographic Context in Ontario," by G. Walker. In Agricultural Restructuring and Sustainability a Geographical Perspective, by B. Ilbery, Q. Chiotti and T. Rickard, pp. 313-327. New York: CAB International, 1997. Note: Selected and revised papers from a conference held in North Carolina; Sustainable Rural Development Series No. 3. [NAL Call Number: HN49 C6S82 no.3]
142. "Sustainable Agriculture and Prospects for Rural Community Development in the United States," by G.W. Gillespie, Jr. Research in Rural Sociology and Development 6 (1995): pp. 167-191. Note: In the series analytic: Sustaining agriculture and rural communities, edited by H.K. Schwarzweller and T.A. Lyson. [NAL Call Number: HT401 R47]
143. Sustainable Agriculture: Balancing Profits and Human and Natural Resources. (CIAS Research Brief, 1) Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems (CIAS), University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1992.
144. Sustainable Agriculture: Concepts, Issues and Policies in OECD Countries, by Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, pp. 68. Paris: OECD, 1995. [NAL Call Number: S494.5 S86S87 1995]
145. Sustainable Agriculture: Conceptual and Methodological Issues: Proceedings of an Organized Symposium Presented at the 1994 Annual Conference of the American Agricultural Economics Association, by American Agricultural Economics Association. Nashville: Cooperative Agricultural Research Program, School of Agriculture and Home Economics, Tennessee State University, 1994? Note: Meeting held in San Deigo [sic], California, August 1994. [NAL Call Number: S441 S865 1994]
147. "Sustainable Agriculture: Economic and Institutional Aspects/Agricoltura Sostenibile: Aspetti Economici Ed Instituzionali," by L. Iacoponi. Georgofili 42, no. 1-4 (1996): pp. 47-123. Note: In Italian. [NAL Call Number: 507 F51]
148. Sustainable Agriculture for Africa: Issues for Policymakers (Final Report), by United States Agency for International Development, African American Institute, African Academy of Sciences and African Training for Leadership and Advanced Skills (Project). Nairobi: African Academy of Sciences, Academy Science Publishers, 1995? ii, 166p. Note: Papers presented at the Field Services Conference "Sustainable Agriculture for Africa: Issues for Policymakers," Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire, July 17-21. Final report. In English, French. [NAL Call Number: S472 A1S97 1995]
149. Sustainable Agriculture for Food, Energy and Industry: Strategies Towards Achievement: Proceedings of the International Conference, by N. El Bassam, R.K. Behl and B. Prochnow. London: James & James Science Publishers, 1998. 2 v. Note: Conference held in Braunschweig, Germany, June 1997. [NAL Call Number: S494.5 S86 S883 1998]
150. Sustainable Agriculture: Hearing before the Subcommittee on Agricultural Research and General Legislation of the Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry, United States Senate, One Hundred Second Congress, Second Session (Sept 17, 1992), by United States Congress. Washington DC: USGPO, 1992. [NAL Call Number: KF26 A351 1992f]
151. Sustainable Agriculture: In Concept and in Deed, by G.T. Castillo. (Network Paper, 36) London: Agricultural Administration (Research and Extension) Network, 1992. [NAL Call Number: S539.5.N47 no.36]
152. Sustainable Agriculture in the 21st Century: Will the Grass Be Greener? by C.M. Benbrook. Baileys Crossroads VA: St. Anthony Press in collaboration with the Humane Society of the United States, 1991. [NAL Call Number: S441 B45 1991]
153. Sustainable Agriculture in the American Midwest: Lessons From the Past, Prospects for the Future, by G. McIsaac and W.R. Edwards, pp. x, 291. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1994. [NAL Call Number: S441 S97 1994]
155. "Sustainable Agriculture Issues on the National Agenda," by G.W. Bird. In Proceedings of the 1890 Extension & Research Conference on Challenging the Past to Build the Future, pp. 4-6. (SRDC Series (Southern Rural Development Center, MS State), 178) Mississippi State MS: Southern Rural Development Center, Dec. 1993. Note: Conference held March 21-24, 1993, Greensboro, North Carolina. [NAL Call Number: HT401 S72]
157. "Sustainable Agriculture: Only Goals, Not Definitions," by V. Mundy. Horizons (VA Cooperative Extension Service, Rural Economic Analysis Program) 9, no. 3 (May/June 1997): pp. 5. [NAL Call Number: HD1775 V8H6]
159. Sustainable Agriculture Perspectives from Across America: Introduction to Concepts and Principles, Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education (Program). Lincoln: University of Nebraska Extension Service, 1997?; 1 videocassette (24 min., 14 sec.): sd., col. 1 user's guide. Note: "This material is based upon work supported by the CSREES, USDA under special project number 95-ESAG-1-1001." [NAL Call Number: Videocassette no.2674]
161. "Sustainable Crop Production: Definition and Methodological Approach for Assessing and Implementing Sustainability," by I. Lewandowski, M. Hardtlein and M. Kaltschmitt. Crop Science 39, no. 1 (Jan/Feb 1999): pp. 184-193. [NAL Call Number: 64.8 C883]
166. "Sustainable Growth in Agricultural Production: Into the 21st Century," by V.W. Ruttan. Outlook (Mar. 1993): pp. 108-116. Note: Paper presented at the conference "Agriculture's Changing Horizon," Dec. 1-3, 1992. [NAL Call Number: 1.90 C20U8]
168. "Sustainable Land Use and Environment," by W.E.H. Blum. In Management of Land and Water Resources for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment: Diamond Jubilee Symposium, by Indian Society of Soil Science, D.L. Deb, G. Narayanasamy, P.S. Sidhu, M.S. Sachdev and R.K. Rattan, pp. 21-30. New Delhi: Indian Society of Soil Science, 1994. [NAL Call Number: S494.5 S86M36 1994]
169. A Sustainable World: Defining and Measuring Sustainable Development, by T.C. Trzyna. Sacramento CA: IUCN - The World Conservation Union, International Center for Environment & Public Policy, 1995.
170. "Sustained Land Productivity: Equity Consequences of Alternative Agricultural Technologies," by C.C. Geisler, J. Cowan, M. Hattery and H. Jacobs. In The Social Consequences of Challenges of New Agricultural Technologies, by G.M. Berardi and C.C. Geisler. Boulder CO: Westview Press, 1984. Note: The Rural studies series of the Rural Sociological Society. [NAL Call Number: S441.68]
172. "A Systems Approach for Assessing Sustainability in Livestock Farms," by E.S. Kristensen, N. Halberg and J.T. Sorensen. In Livestock Farming Systems: More Than Food Production, Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Livestock Farming Systems, by J.T. Sorensen, pp. 16-29. (EAAP Publication, 89) Wageningen Netherlands: Wageningen Pers, 1997. Note: Symposium held Aug. 22- 23, 1996, Foulum, Denmark. [NAL Call Number: 49.9 Eu7 no.89]
173. "Systems Focus, Participation and Sustainability in Agriculture I: A Constructivist Approach/Enfoque Sistemico, Participacao e Sustentabilidade Na Agricultura I: Uma Abordagem Construtivista," by S.L.G. Pinheiro, C.J. Pearson and S. Chamala. Agropecuaria Catarinense 10, no. 2 (1997): pp. 14-18. Note: In Portuguese. [NAL Call Number: S191 A47]
175. To Feed the Earth: Agro-Ecology for Sustainable Development, by M.S. Dover and L.M. Talbot. (World Resources Institute Report, 0880- 2582) Washington DC: World Resources Institute, 1987. [NAL Call Number: S482 D68]
176. "Toward a Sustainable Agriculture: Need for Clarification of Concepts and Terminology," by D.R. Keeney. American Journal of Alternative Agriculture 4, no. 3/4 (1989): pp. 101-105. [NAL Call Number: S605.5 A43]
177. "Towards a Sustainable Agriculture," by S. Diver. New Renaissance Magazine 6, no. 2 (1996).
178. "Towards an Agricultural Economic Theory of Sustainable Agricultural Production/Per Una Teoria Economic-Agraria Della Produzione Agricola Sostenibile," by R. Petrocchi. Studi Di Economia e Diritto 3-4 (1997): pp. 63-86. Note: In Italian.
179. Tracing the Evolution of Organic/Sustainable Agriculture: A Selected and Annotated Bibliography, by J.P. Gates and M.V. Gold. Beltsville MD: Alternative Farming Systems Information Center (AFSIC), National Agricultural Library, USDA, 1989, updated 2007. [NAL Call Number: aZ5076 AlU54 no.72]
180. Two Mindsets, Two Visions of Sustainable Agriculture, by D. Meadows. Global Citizen (Raintree/Ecotrust), 1999. Note: Originally published in the Global Citizen newsletter, Aug. 3, 1999.
182. Understanding and Managing the Multi-Dimensions of Sustainable Agriculture, by J.E. Ikerd. University of Missouri, 1997. Note: Paper presented at the Southern Region Sustainable Agriculture Professional Development Program Workshop, SARE Regional Training Consortium, Gainesville, FL, January 15, 1997.
184. "The Value of Natural and Social Capital for Sustainable Agriculture," by J.N. Pretty. In Ecological Agriculture and Sustainable Development, Proceedings of International Conference on Ecological Agriculture: Towards Sustainable Development, by G.S. Dhaliwal, R. Arora, N.S. Randhawa and A.K. Dhawan, pp. 3-31. Vol. 1. Ludhiana, India; Chandigarh, India: Indian Ecological Society; Centre for Research in Rural and Industrial Development, 1998. Note: Meeting held in Chandigarh, India, Nov. 15-17, 1997. [NAL Call Number: S471 I4I57 1997]
185. Varieties of Sustainability: Reflecting on Ethics, Environment, and Economic Equity: Abstracts of Presentations Abstracts of Papers Presented at Asilomar Conference Center, May 10-12, 1991, by University of California Santa Cruz Agroecology Program and Agriculture Food and Human Values Society. Santa Cruz CA: UC Agroecology Program, 1991. Note: Meeting sponsored by Agroecology Program, Univ. of CA Santa Cruz, and the Agriculture, Food, and Human Values Society. [NAL Call Number: S494.5 S86V27 1991]
189. "What Is Sustainable Agriculture?" by T. Gips. In Global Perspectives on Agroecology and Sustainable Agricultural Systems, edited by P. Allen and D. Van Dusen (1988): pp. 63-74. Note: Proceeding of the Sixth International Scientific Conference of the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements. [NAL Call Number: S605.5 I45 1986]
190. What Is Sustainable Agriculture? by G. Feenstra, C. Ingels and D. Campbell. UC Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education Program (SAREP), University of California, Davis, 1997.
191. "What is Sustainable Agriculture? An Empirical Examination of Faculty and Farmer Definitions," by R.E. Dunlap, C.E. Beus, R. Howell and J. Waud. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture 3, no. 1 (1992): pp. 5-39. [NAL Call Number: S494.5 S86S8]
192. "What Is Sustainable Agriculture? Common Misconceptions About Sustainable Agriculture, and Historical Developments Relevant to the Concept of Sustainable Agriculture," by C.A. Francis and G. Youngberg. In Sustainable Agriculture in Temperate Zones, by C.A. Francis, C.B. Flora and L.D. King, pp. 3-15. New York: Wiley, 1990. [NAL Call Number: S494.5 S86S87]
193. "Where the Grass Grows Again: Knowledge Exchange in the Sustainable Agriculture Movement," by N. Hassanein and J.R. Kloppenburg, Jr. Rural Sociology 60, no. 4 (Winter 1995): pp. 721-740. [NAL Call Number: 281.28 R88]
194. "Which Row to Hoe? An Interim Report on Alternative Directions in Agriculture," by C. Miller. Northwest Report: A Newsletter of the Northwest Foundation 13 (Jan. 1993): pp. 2-11. [NAL Call Number: AS911 L6A3]