What permits are required to start a small-scale food processing business?


Federal, State, and local governments regulate the operation of all food processing facilities, including small-scale processing. Before starting a business, it is important to determine the types of food that can be produced in small-scale facilities and to contact the agencies that regulate licensing and facility inspection. Zoning laws and building codes may also be a factor. In addition to State-level regulations, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) manages food safety issues with the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) system.

Contact your State agriculture or health department for more information about how to get started.