What type of insurance do I need if I have visitors or pick-your-own customers on my farm?


Generally, direct farm marketing operations require some level of liability insurance. Many pick-your-own businesses have both farm liability and commercial business insurance policies, but coverage depends on the size and type of your business. Since injury to visitors or customers can happen, it is important to limit the liability to the business owner.

Several States have enacted laws to limit the potential liability of pick-your-own operations, provided the business owner does not create undue risk or engage in reckless conduct. If you have concerns about liability issues or insurance, it is best to contact a lawyer or insurance agent to discuss State and local laws and coverage options.