Home Canning of Fruits and Vegetables: Seven Points For Success
Source of Digital Item
Seven Points for Success
1. Can only fresh food, in tiptop condition.
2. Have food, jars, everything used in canning thoroughly clean.
3. Work quickly, so as to can "freshness."
4. Heat food hot enough and long enough to make bacteria and other organisms harmless, so they won't "work" in the food and make it spoil.
5. Follow up-to-date directions and timetables, backed up by scientific research.
6. Make sure jars are sealed airtight, to keep spoilage organisms outside.
7. Store canned food in a cool, dark, dry place.