Community Supported Agriculture Automated Database Searches
The Alternative Farming Systems Information Center (AFSIC)
National Agricultural Library (NAL)
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Ask a Question form. (Select the Topical Area: Alternative Farming)
Slightly Revised September 2015
- Database or Internet Searches
- Current Research Information System (CRIS)
- Website and Database Descriptions
- Search Tips
Database or Internet Searches
Conduct automated, real-time, searches to locate current resources on organic food production. Select a search option below to access the designated Web site or database. A search of selected terms related to community supported agriculture will find and display Web sites, books, articles, information resources, subject experts, educational opportunities and more. Search strategies differ across online sources. Database descriptions are included below.
NAL AGRICOLA Database
AGRICOLA (AGRICultural Online Access), the National Agricultural Library (NAL) Catalog, is a bibliographic database of citations to the agricultural literature created by NAL and its cooperators. The records describe publications and resources encompassing all aspects of agriculture and allied disciplines. [Learn about AGRICOLA.]
Search or browsed AGRICOLA for articles or books on community supported agriculture.
- Search strategy: ("community supported agriculture") or ("community supported farm???") or ("CSA farm???") or ("subscription farm???") or ("box scheme?") or ("teikei")
- Subject browse:
- Books on Community Supported Agriculture
- Articles on Community Supported Agriculture
- Tip: To browse AGRICOLA using other terms, go to http://agricola.nal.usda.gov/. Under the NAL Books or the Articles Database column, select "Browse," select "Subject Browse," enter a subject term in the box labeled "Find," and then select "Submit."
Search USDA and the Web for Information on Community Supported Agriculture
The Agricultural Research Service (ARS) is USDA's main in-house research agency. ARS research develops solutions to a wide range of problems related to food and agriculture. Select a linked word to find USDA or other government resources, search the ARS Manuscripts Database (TEKTRAN), read blogs and recent news posts, or search the Internet for information on conservation tillage. [Note: Use the Advanced ARS Search feature to find resources published at a specific ARS location.]
Search for "community supported agriculture" at:
The Current Research Information System (CRIS)
The Current Research Information System (CRIS) is the U.S. Department of Agriculture's documentation and reporting system for ongoing and recently completed research projects in agriculture, food and nutrition, and forestry.
Follow these steps to conduct a keyword search in the TITLE or DESCRIPTOR fields:
- Copy the following search strategies:
TI,DE=community ADJ supported ADJ agriculture OR TI,DE=community ADJ supported ADJ farm* OR TI,DE=CSA ADJ farm* OR TI,DE=subscription ADJ farm* OR TI,DE=box ADJ scheme OR TI,DE=teikei
- Access the CRIS database.
- Select Professional Search.
- Select the Edit button beside Search Number S1.
- Paste the search strategy copied in Step 1 into the search box.
- Select the OK button.
- Select the Display button to view the results.
- Optional: Select the Change Format button to choose a different display format or to customize your format using selected data fields.
Website and Database Descriptions
AGRICOLA (AGRICultural Online Access), the National Agricultural Library (NAL) Catalog, is a bibliographic database of citations to the agricultural literature created by NAL and its cooperators. The records describe publications and resources encompassing all aspects of agriculture and allied disciplines.
[Learn about AGRICOLA.]
ARS Web Site
The Agricultural Research Service (ARS) is USDA's main in-house research agency. ARS research develops solutions to a wide range of problems related to food and agriculture.
USDA Web Portal
The United States Department of Agriculture's main Web site links to department and agency Web sites, publications, news releases, subject specialists and experts, policy documents, Federal Register notices, research papers, educational materials, fact sheets and more.
The United States government's official Web portal provides access to U.S. government information, services and resources.
The tips below will help you create your own search strategies to conduct literature searches.
Recommended Keywords and Phrases
- (community supported agriculture?) or
(community supported farm*) or
(CSA near farm*) or
(subscription farm*) or
(box scheme) or
- The NAL Agricultural Thesaurus is an online vocabulary look-up tool for agricultural and biological terms. The Thesaurus is organized to help find terms in a specific discipline or subject area. Automated searches are featured.
- Term: community supported agriculture
- Broader Term: sustainable agriculture
- Related Term: direct marketing
- Refine your search with related keywords and phrases (see also Sustainable Agriculture: Definitions and Terms, or check the AGROVOC multilingual agricultural thesaurus).