The interagency Committee on Human Nutrition Research (ICHNR) supports federal human nutrition research by assisting with planning, coordination and communication. On this page, find information about the Committee and view ICHNR's National Nutrition Research Roadmap, meeting materials, and other key resources.
About the ICHNR
Created in 1983, the Interagency Committee on Human Nutrition Research (ICHNR) was charged with improving the planning, coordination, and communication among federal agencies engaged in nutrition research and with facilitating the development and updating of plans for federal research programs to meet current and future domestic and international needs for nutrition.
The ICHNR aims to increase the overall effectiveness and productivity of federally supported or conducted human nutrition research. The ICHNR invites participation of all federal Departments and currently includes representatives from the U.S. Departments of Agriculture (USDA), Health and Human Services (HHS), Defense (DoD) and Commerce; the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Agency for International Development (USAID), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Veterans Health Administration (VHA), and the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP). The ICHNR is co-chaired by the USDA Under Secretary for Research, Education and Economics and Chief Scientist, and the HHS National Coordinator for Health Information Technology and acting Assistant Secretary for Health.
Current ICHNR Agency Members
- U.S. Department of Agriculture: Agricultural Research Service, Economic Research Service, National Institute of Food and Agriculture, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, Food and Nutrition Service
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Food and Drug Administration, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institutes of Health, Health Resources and Services Administration
- U.S. Department of Commerce: National Institute of Standards and Technology, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Federal Trade Commission
- National Science Foundation
- United States Agency for International Development
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Veterans Health Administration
- White House: Office of Science and Technology Policy
May 18, 2023
December 8, 2022
June 17, 2022
- Meeting Minutes
- Presentation: Dietary Guidelines for Americans Update
- Presentation: Dietary Reference Intake Subcommittee (DRI) Update
August 26, 2021
October 22, 2019
ICHNR Brief Overview
View a handout about ICHNR's purpose and subcommittees.