Food and Nutrition Information Center
Listed below are quick links to FNIC's most popular topics and topics of interest. These links rotate frequently so please check back often.
- 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- Dietary Reference Intakes
- Sign up for the FNIC Nutrition Talk Email List
- USDA Food Composition Databases
- Agricultural Research Service (ARS) Food and Nutrition Research Briefs
- DRI Calculator for Healthcare Professionals
- Food Labeling: Revision of the Nutrition and Supplement Facts Label
- Evaluating Health Information
1. September 6-7, 2018: The next in-person meeting of the Secretary’s Advisory Committee on National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives for 2030 and is open to the public. The meeting will be held in Washington DC.Free registration available: here
2. October 9, 2018: The NASEM Health and Medicine will host the next Food Forum from 8:30a to 5p: Current Status and Response to the Global Obesity Pandemic. Free registration available here
3. October 18-19, 2018:The Joint Institute for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (JIFSAN) Advisory Council will hold a 2018 Fall Symposium 'Harnessing Public, Private Partnerships (P3s) to Improve Food Safety & Nutrition Outcomes' in Beltsville, Maryland to look at the role public private partnerships have played in society and how such efforts in food safety capacity building may improve public health outcomes.
4. April 23-25, 2019: The 33rd Annual National Child Nutrition Conference, Chicago IL. Attendees learn about Child and Adult Care Food Program, At Risk-After School, Head Start and other child nutrition programs. https://www.cacfp.org/news-events-conferences/national-cacfp-sponsors-as...
5. January 1, 2020: FDA issued a final rule to extend the compliance dates for updating Nutrition Facts and Supplement Facts labels to January 1, 2020 for manufacturers with $10 million or more in annual food sales. Manufacturers with less than $10 million in annual food sales will receive an extra year to comply until January 1, 2021.
The Food and Nutrition Information Center (FNIC) is a leader in online global nutrition information. Located at the National Agricultural Library (NAL) of the United States Department of Agriculture, the FNIC website contains over 2500 links to current and reliable nutrition information.
The Food and Agriculture Act of 1977 (Farm Bill) established the Food and Nutrition Information and Education Resources Center (later known as the Food and Nutrition Information Center, or FNIC) as a permanent entity within NAL. (see p.26 of PDF).
FNIC strives to serve the professional community (including educators, health professionals and researchers) by providing access to a wide range of trustworthy food and nutrition resources from both government and non-government sources. The FNIC website provides information about food and human nutrition. The materials found on this website are not intended to be used for the diagnosis or treatment of a health problem or as a substitute for consulting a licensed health professional.
To learn more about FNIC's content and linking policy, please review the webmaster section of the Frequently Asked Questions.
The use of trade, firm, or corporation names in this website (or in website pages) is for the information and convenience of the reader. Such use does not constitute an official endorsement or approval by USDA or the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) of any product or service to the exclusion of others that may be suitable. Likewise, some databases available on the FNIC website include resources from "non-government entities." Inclusion of these materials in a database does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by FNIC or the U.S. Government.
https://www.regonline.com/builder/site/tab1.aspx?EventID=2520021Online: If you have a question related to food and nutrition please use the Ask a Question form.
In person: FNIC Specialists can assist you Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. EST at the National Agricultural Library (NAL) in Beltsville, Maryland.
By phone: Call (301) 504-5414 to talk to an Information Specialist
Food and Nutrition Information Center
USDA ARS National Agricultural Library
10301 Baltimore Avenue,
Beltsville, MD 20705-2351